Ebay Shipping OverCharge

Techno Child

web{designer}
Ebay is starting to crack down on sellers that list items cheap, but find the funds for the item in the shipping charges.

s.gif
A message from Bill Cobb from eBay Live! in Las Vegas,

"As many of you who listen to my monthly audio Town Halls know, I have personally committed to making sure the problem of some sellers charging excessive shipping costs gets addressed. You’ve told us and we agree -- excessive shipping has become a serious issue that needs a solution. It sets up unfair competition through fee avoidance and search manipulation, and, most importantly, it is eroding buyer trust in the eBay marketplace. In fact, we completed research that found this is the number one reason that buyers leave eBay."

Source:eBay

This has been a problem for a long time. Glad they're looking into ways of stopping it. I'm interested in seeing what steps they take to solve the problem.

it needs to be an automated system based solely of zip codes and weight and other factors, so it cant be changed.

But if people are too stupid to buy an item cheap only to pay the same amount in the end due to the shipping then they deserve what they get.

Most of the time when I look to bid on something I will look at shipping right away and if it's some rediculous amount, then I just avoid it.

I'm with gonaads. After paying some of those shipping costs it ends up being cheaper to buy it direct (such as in the case of my flat panels) or from a site like Newegg.

Are you telling me that I could be getting ripped off by getting 2005 FPW for $300 and than paying $150 for shipping? My god, this is amazing. Seriously though, I'm glad they are trying to do something about it but most people on eBay are dumb as hell and deserve to get ripped off. Thankfully, I always thorougly investigate any auction before bidding.

When I bought my second 2005FPW I looked at eBay first. At that time the best price I could find on eBay was $350 and $80 for S&H.

I ended up buying it direct from Dell for ~$424 (that price included tax). S&H was free and I used a coupon.

Lol, You sure break it down up front BS :p

From a seller's point of view though, there are it's advantages I guess. The only time I like it when the shipping is over 500% of the sale price, is when it's someone's selling something for a penny, and the shipping's like 5 bucks ;)

well then its fine, but people are so foolish, i've seen situations where someone bought a used Asus vento case for (i was also bidding on it) $140 plus $30 shipping, so the total was $170, you could buy a new one on newegg for $150 with s+h included at the time.

Sometimes there is no real option, you get raped on shipping but still pay less than retail. I got a Motorola bluetooth headset. BestBuy wanted like $100, my cell company wanted $90. I paid $50 something on ebay but had $20 shipping. The thing is the size of two quarters, it cuoldn't have cost more than $5 to ship it. But like I said, even after the raping my total cost was better than retail.

Finally they do something about this. Sometimes I will see cheap little things and the shipping me more then the cost of the item.

I paid $100 for two brand new 12's which saved me $100 by getting them on ebay but the damn shipping was $35 which sorta seems to much but might of not of been. So in the end it saved me $65 but thats still a deal.

Just glad they are cracking down on this now.

where were those 12's and that phone used or new?

I think the real source of the issue is people who are selling stuff with a $9.99 Buy-It-Now with a $200 shipping charge. That, essentially, is done soley to rip off eBay. eBay takes a certain percentage of the Final Auction Price, which does NOT include shipping. The sellers who did that still make their money, getting 209 total for instance, but only end up paying fees on a 9.99 auction.

First thing I always look for is the cost of p+p (Postage and Packing) and if it's even £1 over what it should be I refuse to pay it and go elsewhere :rolleyes:

Seriously no one deserves to get ripped just because they don't know. What if it was a family member that just didn't know? Some people are just un educated and go on eBay thinking that it's a great place to find good cheap deals. They need to be educated. Only problem is that eBay does have online classes for buyers and sellers. But how many people actually will take the time or have the time to check them out?

Yeah, but some people just like to have the thrill of getting a 360 for a penny, even if the shipping is 500usd.

Members online

No members online now.

Latest profile posts

Also Hi EP and people. I found this place again while looking through a oooollllllldddd backup. I have filled over 10TB and was looking at my collection of antiques. Any bids on the 500Mhz Win 95 fix?
Any of the SP crew still out there?
Xie wrote on Electronic Punk's profile.
Impressed you have kept this alive this long EP! So many sites have come and gone. :(

Just did some crude math and I apparently joined almost 18yrs ago, how is that possible???
hello peeps... is been some time since i last came here.
Electronic Punk wrote on Sazar's profile.
Rest in peace my friend, been trying to find you and finally did in the worst way imaginable.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
naeemsafi
Back