eBay Set to Change Feedback System

kcnychief

??? ??? ?
Political Access
This is rather interesting, can't wait to see how effective of a tool it becomes -

eBay adds Detailed Seller Ratings to its feedback system

eBay has decided to make the first significant change to its feedback system in over 11 years with the announcement of Feedback 2.0. In addition to the standard positive, neutral and negative ratings, Feedback 2.0 will also provide four additional categories, where buyers can individually rate sellers on called Detailed Seller Ratings (DSRs).

The four new categories are: Item as described, Communication, Shipping time and Shipping and Handling charges. Buyers will be able to rate sellers on a 5-star rating scale on each category.

http://www.dailytech.com/article.aspx?newsid=6397

Sounds great. I especially like the Shipping and Handling Charges one -- it's no secret that sellers inflate that charge all the time to make a few extra bucks. I swear I've seen a $20 shipping charge for sending a pack of gum. ;)

Sounds great. I especially like the Shipping and Handling Charges one -- it's no secret that sellers inflate that charge all the time to make a few extra bucks. I swear I've seen a $20 shipping charge for sending a pack of gum. ;)

OKKKK....

Lets not forget that many sellers only up the shipping cost BECAUSE it is the only way they can make $$...

I have made some INSANELY GOOD purchases where I made the purchase based on the cost the items and instead of shipping several items from DIFFERENT places I would have them bundle them from one vendor...

and it makes it worth it in my opinion... I think sellers who use that tactic will be hurt in the long run...

Mike A!

yeah..... those huge shipping costs really turn me down on a lot of possible bids. it's ridiculous to see something like a hard drive with a $20 shipping charge, especially when it ships from like... Georgia to PA, instead of the usual California to PA. i could get a SWORD shipped to me for about that price.

WRT shipping costs, I would like to see PayPal REMOVE the option for you to hide the actual shipping cost on their labels. Otherwise, how are people going to know what the seller actually paid?

chief: you can usually get an idea on shipping by the size of the item being shipped and the method you're getting it shipped by. If you still can't get a general idea in your head, then i'm fairly certain both UPS and USPS have calculators for estimating shipping costs based on package size, weight, and where it's going.

UPS, FEDEX, USPS, everybody DOES have shipping calculators.

Sadly shipping costs have skyrocketed over the last 2-3 years. They are up about 80%.

Packing materials bought retail is also insanely inflated. It costs me as much to ship gifts to out of state friends and family as the gifts cost. I send money now.

If a seller is a dealer and can't just reuse old packing material he is looking at $10-20 to ship most items insured. He also needs to be compensated for labor to pack and time and gas for taking the package to a delivery center.

I find the shipping costs offensive but I have to admit they are realistic.

PS I stopped using ebay 5 years ago when the crooks started using it. That and the ebay prices were no better than prices with good rebates locally.

Looks like I have to quit charging a 30% mark up on my shipping ... :p

Usually when I calculate mine; I include the gas it takes to go to the store to get the package, and the time it takes to package it. Usually, it is no more than $5.00 more ...

I am aware of all the costs and shipping calculators, I would still like to see PayPal remove that feature. I think it will bring down shipping costs charged by some sellers overall, and restore some honesty to the selling community.

Buyers shouldn't have to go through and do their own calculations, that is the job of the seller. Thing is that right now most sellers aren't honest about things, which is where I think the change needs to occur.

selling stuff on ebay is extremely risky nowadays. ive read estimates of almost 1 in 5 transactions on ebytch or paysux are fraudulent. Don't believe me? All you gotta do is buy something ... pay for it with paypal ...get it ..wait a few days ... complain to paypal that the item received was not as promised, damaged, or even that you didn't get it ..and you get your money back almost instantly ... leaving the seller in the cold ... and you keep the item. Not only that ..this also freezes the sellers paypal account for an indefinite amount of time.

Paypal seller protection is no-existent and a sham. Of course there are still honorable people in the world ..but the frauds in the world have made ebay and paypal their new home.

Thats stupid...
Everybody knows that if you give positive rep, you get positive rep.
If you Give Negative Rep, you get Negative rep.

Thought they would change that.

selling stuff on ebay is extremely risky nowadays. ive read estimates of almost 1 in 5 transactions on ebytch or paysux are fraudulent. Don't believe me? All you gotta do is buy something ... pay for it with paypal ...get it ..wait a few days ... complain to paypal that the item received was not as promised, damaged, or even that you didn't get it ..and you get your money back almost instantly ... leaving the seller in the cold ... and you keep the item. Not only that ..this also freezes the sellers paypal account for an indefinite amount of time.

Paypal seller protection is no-existent and a sham. Of course there are still honorable people in the world ..but the frauds in the world have made ebay and paypal their new home.
Thanks for taking the time to verify your facts before blasting both ebay and paypal with your cute little names for them.

You are wrong, plain and simple. If you receive an item that is not as described or damaged as you say, and the seller has taken the proper measures to protect themselves - such as meeting all criteria for the Seller Protection Policy - then they will be fine. You would have to return the item to the seller, provide proof of the return, and then you could get either a partial or full refund. Of course, if the seller doesn't meet the requirements for the SPP, then you could potentially be accurate.

Also, your payment is only returned should PayPal decide to side with you and not the seller. There are some cases where you will NOT get your money back, depending on if the seller has the money in their PayPal account (PayPal can't initiate a transfer from the seller's bank account), or if there isn't justifiable proof.

While you are entitled to hate ebay/paypal as it is a free country, please be sure you have the facts before you attempt to make such a bold statement.

Thats stupid...
Everybody knows that if you give positive rep, you get positive rep.
If you Give Negative Rep, you get Negative rep.

Thought they would change that.
Also not true, some people give feedback in reverse order and hang it over the head of the buyer. Some sellers give feedback right after payment is received, give positive and then can get burned with a negative.

Of course, if you disagree, there are mediation processess to have feedback removed from your eBay profile.

Also not true, some people give feedback in reverse order and hang it over the head of the buyer. Some sellers give feedback right after payment is received, give positive and then can get burned with a negative.

Of course, if you disagree, there are mediation processess to have feedback removed from your eBay profile.
Yeah i suppose
But 90% of the time, of my 100 purchases.
I always had to give rep first, and it always had to be positive

Why do you always HAVE to give feedback first? There was nothing forcing you to do so.

wanna bet? ill write a contract with you ..sell me something on ebay for 10 bucks ... and send it ... ill pay you for it .. get your proof of shipping ..even with signature...

this is one of zillions of places to read http://www.paypalsucks.com/forums/showforum.php?fid=3

ill bet you 1000usd that i get my 10 bucks back and keep the item. on top of that i bet they lock your paypal up and you start receiving automated emails about blah blah blah ... we are fighting for you ..blah blah blah ..with no phone numbers ..and when you eventually find a number ..its some schmuck that says there is nothing they can do ... email the safe harbor department ..and they don't have a phone. then you start receiving the same old boring automated emails.

paypal is NOT a bank and they make their own rules. I'm not flaming you or anyone else ..but simply stating facts. i know someone on the west side of chicago that brags about it ..and does it almost daily with 6 or 7 different names. He does it with items less than whatever amount that makes it impossible to prosecute ..and even then ...there are no real laws in place to prosecute under ...at least not yet and i sure hope there will be.

If you really truly believe that ebay and paypal are safe and their seller protection is true ..why is it that 99.8% of their chargebacks are not reputed? its because paypal is only a middleman with credit card transactions .... and to avoid their processing rates going up they almost always side with the buyer ..no matter what ...even with overwhelming evidence.

so ... seller sells say a video card ... buyer buys it ... pays with credit card ... tells credit card company that the item is broken ...or was different that what was said it to be. ... this is where people like YOU and ME (honorable people) would think we are safe ... but NO.

the argument here is .. you coulda put a brick in the package. maybe a bunch of rocks ... how about a big rubber band and some popcorn. What i'm saying is ... the buyer could say thats what was in the box ... or even that the box didnt have anything in it. and then YOURE STUCK ..they IMMEDIATELY refund the money to the buyer and take it from YOUR ACCOUNT ..and then lock up all the money in it for 180days ..and if they aren't satisfied then .. they will take money from whatever account you have linked to the paypal account.

I say this strongly ... NEVER EVER EVER link a checking account to a paypal account. NEVER.

and if you really want me to post facts ... i would take more than what is allowed to upload que on this forum. I filed suit against them for this very fact ..and won... well sorta ... because they were holding several thousand dollars because a buyer did this.

all you gotta do is this ..go to youtube and search for paypal. if that doesn't suffice just google paypal ..or paypal problems. there is a current class action suit against paypal for this very thing

so if that isnt insulting enough ... to even try to get a mediation (paypal is the mediator too) guess what .. the seller has to pay for that too. So after you lose your money ..and your account is locked ..and someone else has your stuff .. you go to mediation and if you are part of that .2% that actually wins your mediation ..then you get your money back maybe .. minus the headaches of 180days of them locking your account ... minus the mediation fees. So if the item was 100 bucks ..mediation cost whatever ... then you get the difference.

you don't have to take my word for it ..but paypal/ebay has ruined thousands of lives ... people that followed the spirit of the original ebay ... where people could sell and make money ..and honest people purchased ... and many thousands became "merchants" where they based their livelyhood and job on ebay. then some crap like this happens.

lastly, before you start gibberish about what i say here ... you dang well bet your ass I'm not full of crap. I wouldn't waste my time typing this in here if it was fictional. If you don't believe what i am saying ... or the videos and zillions of posts throughout the net aren't enough for you ... then it wouldn't matter anyway. I'm just looking out for you and my other fellow osnners.

again ... look around the net ... some estimate that 1 in 5 (probably more like 1 in 10) transactions on ebay using paypal are fraudulent. this is why you see more and more links to outside processing.

FYI ... ever wonder why its so hard to use your own merchant account on ebay? And if you do .. there are many things you can't sell ... which is against the very laws that dictate credit card use ...which is why there is a class action suit in progress.

Last edited:
You bring up good points, and I am aware of the class action suits and other issues that are out there for both ebay and paypal - I just haven't really run into any extreme cases myself.

FWIW - a lot of these cases that are going on these days are also pinned on fishing, where buyers/sellers are blaming fraud to begin with and don't even know what's going on for anything.

Good stuff though, and don't get me wrong I don't mind people posting their opinions. If someone is so strong against it, like you seem to be, it is just good to post valid and factual information rather than just BS - which you did.

Good post, it is important to see/read both sides of the story.

Members online

No members online now.

Latest profile posts

Also Hi EP and people. I found this place again while looking through a oooollllllldddd backup. I have filled over 10TB and was looking at my collection of antiques. Any bids on the 500Mhz Win 95 fix?
Any of the SP crew still out there?
Xie wrote on Electronic Punk's profile.
Impressed you have kept this alive this long EP! So many sites have come and gone. :(

Just did some crude math and I apparently joined almost 18yrs ago, how is that possible???
hello peeps... is been some time since i last came here.
Electronic Punk wrote on Sazar's profile.
Rest in peace my friend, been trying to find you and finally did in the worst way imaginable.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
naeemsafi
Back