• This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn more.

Easy way to Clone info to a new HDD

N

NaMcO

It might seem incredible...

But if you XCOPY all data on a drive into another and make it bootable (tested under FAT32 only) it'll boot as the new one did. Just make sure you copy everything (it won't copy the swapfile, but it's not needed, windows will just create a new one).

Remember to XCOPY even empty directories, recreating the structure, hidden and system files, EVERYTHING. Then just boot with a diskette, after the disk is in place and SYS C: to transfer the OS (if transferring your system disk) and boot.

This has been tested several times under windows millennium and worked a charm. It will work for XP and NTFS as well but regarding DATA disks, i haven't tested on a system disk, so i can't say if it works or not.

Hope this helped, don't know if you want a REAL image or just transfer the files...:cool:

SMALL NOTE:
This operation has to be done within windows or all the files will be converted to the 8.3 format and rendered useless...

Members online

No members online now.

Latest posts

Latest profile posts

Hello, is there anybody in there? Just nod if you can hear me ...
Xie
What a long strange trip it's been. =)

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
sanoravies