easy question

Taurus

hardware monkey
here's easy rep for someone. :nervous:

what does the upgrade version of vista entail? versus the full version. how does a clean install work? does it require my xp key?

Well, basically it depends on your XP version.

XP Pro can be upgraded to Business and Ultimate, while XP Home can be upgraded to Home Basic, Home Premium, Business and Ultimate. Media Center version can be upgraded to Home Premium and Ultimate.

I'm not sure about the clean install stuff, but I think you can find something here:
http://www.extremetech.com/article2/0,2845,2082983,00.asp

I think you'll need your XP key, but once you've upgraded I believe the key won't work with XP anymore.

Hope that helps you :)

The Upgrade for Windows Vista is preferable to buying the full version due to its lower pricing but upgrading means having already bought a previous version of the Windows OS that's compatible with the upgrade (e.g. to upgrade to Windows Vista Ultimate you'd need either XP, Tablet PC or Media Center versions or even Windows Vista Basic/Home Premium or Business whereas Windows XP Professional can't be upgraded to the Home Premium version of Vista).

The setup routine is more convenient and faster than that found when installing XP - but upgrading increases the time needed for the install of the OS comparable to a clean install.

You should backup your system before this wonderful journey just in case :) and also defrag the HDD and remove the antivirus to avoid any incompatibilities.

Upgrading needs to be started from within Windows (XP) and not at the boot-ukey, the latter solution being available for the clean install as well as the former.

And last but not least :rolleyes: the clean install (as well as the upgrade) doesn't require the XP key expressly. Instead you'll need to enter Vista license key.

All the best!

Last edited:
i will definitely be doing a clean install. bigstie, you're telling my the upgrade version will clean install just like the full version? or do i have to have my xp home installed first, THEN go through the longer and messy upgrade process each time i want to reformat?

i will definitely be doing a clean install. bigstie, you're telling my the upgrade version will clean install just like the full version? or do i have to have my xp home installed first, THEN go through the longer and messy upgrade process each time i want to reformat?

So if you've decided on doing a clean install you need the full version of Vista (either Home Premium, Ultimate, Basic etc as you desire) or in case you just want to upgrade you have to have Windows XP first and then follow the leader-leader :) That not means necessarily that the update will be messier because in reality it wipes the previous OS and does pretty much what a clean install does.

The upgrade version will work as the full one does. I've recently found this trick to install the upgrade similar to the full version - here, scroll down to Get Vista upgrade, never pay full price article

Last edited:
I don't know if you all knew this but Vista Upgrade editions consider itself a valid OS to upgrade from.

http://www.windowssecrets.com/comp/070201#story1

The secret is that the setup program in Vista's upgrade version will accept an installed copy of XP, W2K, or an unactivated copy of Vista itself as evidence of a previous installation.

The only thing is that you end up installing Vista twice, but Vista IMHO is much less painful to install than XP, plus it is quicker to install on modern machines.

Members online

No members online now.

Latest profile posts

Also Hi EP and people. I found this place again while looking through a oooollllllldddd backup. I have filled over 10TB and was looking at my collection of antiques. Any bids on the 500Mhz Win 95 fix?
Any of the SP crew still out there?
Xie wrote on Electronic Punk's profile.
Impressed you have kept this alive this long EP! So many sites have come and gone. :(

Just did some crude math and I apparently joined almost 18yrs ago, how is that possible???
hello peeps... is been some time since i last came here.
Electronic Punk wrote on Sazar's profile.
Rest in peace my friend, been trying to find you and finally did in the worst way imaginable.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
naeemsafi
Back