Easy CD Creator 5 Writes at only 1x--help!!

P

paull2k

Hey, can someone tell me why for some reason Roxio Easy CD Creator 5.0 will only write at 1x speed and not a higher one?
Ok here are the details of my problem, first of all, I have a TEAC CD-W512E IDE CD-RW Drive, Easy CD Creator 5.0 Platinum worked fine when I had Windows 98, but will now only write at 1x speed on Windows XP Professional. Now first understand a few things:
I have:
Upgraded my Firmware from version 1.0A to 1.0F.
Uninstalled and re-installed the software.
Installed the latest ASPI Layer from Adaptec; which is version 4.70.
Downloaded both patches on the Roxio USA web site, both of which are, xp_up.exe and ecdc_v5.02d_up.exe.
Did system tests in Roxio Easy CD Creator 5.0 to get the transfer rates for everything and that did not work at all.
And when I tried to record something on the cd-r/w discs it would only record at 1x speed when the cd-rw is 1x - 4x compatible, on Windows 98 it always burned at 4x. With other cd-rw software it burns at the regular speed but with EZCD5 it simply does not.
I just prefer EZCD5 over any other program (yes even Nero).

Any help for this problem would greatly be appreciated, thank you.

PS: I would call Roxio, but I have a downloaded version of EZCD5 :p

Any help for this problem would greatly be appreciated, thank you.

Well in that case, here you go:

I know that recording music from your cd at 1x means (not allways) that you re doing it analogue not digital

Check the settings for your cd drive(s) in system -> device manager. See what you can enable/disable there. I think there is acheckbox there saying 'enable didgital data transfer for this device' or something like that. I'm guessing that that's the case, becouse the data transfer tests all failed.

Also keep in mind that if you are writing a rewritable cd, your speed will drop! My 4x speed (needs to be upgraded I know) writes rewritables @ 2x

I know this ain't much help, but it'll maybe get you going.

I had this prob not burning at full speed and was getting under run errors...ended up being the cd and cdrw were on the same IDE channel..slaved the cd to the hardrive problem solved...not sure if it will work for you but worth a try.

I hardly ever burn music to cd-r's, most of the time I just burn the stuff I download to cd-rw's to free up some hard drive space. Also when I did the system transfer rate tests they didn't fail, all of them are done but it still doesn't let me burn to a cd at full speed. I have not yet tried to turn off that one option in the device manager, I will when I get home which won't won't be until about 6 at night :| Thanks for the help, hopefully it works, I'll post back later tonight.

Adobo
I wish I knew how to do that, but right now I am currently taking a computer class which deals entirely with computer hardware, and we have not actually worked much with the computers yet. Plus I find most of the readings difficult to understand.
Lukas thanks for the tip, but unfortunately it didn't work :(

Did you actually try to burn something in Nero 5 to test it out? Even if you don't like it? If you get the same thing there... then you know the problem is Easy CD creator.. I know there is also a patch for EZ CD 5 and XP, just go on their web site, or look on this web site, on the front page.. there's an article about that patch (called Easy CD Creator Basic v.5.1.1 Update
bottom of the page). Go on Windows Update too, I bet you have quite a few updates to do. And there's one of them about CD Burning compatibility. You might want to check that out.

The problem is Easy CD and XP, not the CD Burner itself. I don't have any problems with XP and Nero just so you know, but I know someone with XP where his EZ CD kept bugging. Something to do with teh Easy CD Manager not compatible with the integrated CD burning features of XP.

Hope that helps better =P

As I have stated before, yes Nero 5 does work with XP, but I don't think it does a very good job, at least the one I had before didn't, when I hit the cd-burning button it gave me a random write speed all the time for some unknown reason. Also I have the Platinum version of Easy CD Creator 5.0 and the patch definately would not work, I have read it's only for 5.1x Basic versions. Thanks though.

Oh, sorry about that then. But the fact that Nero gives you a random speed is because you set it to MAX speed, which is never what you want to do anyway. Set the burning speed to something fix and you won't have that. The latest version they have is 5.5.7.8. I suppose it's not the one you tried... This one was specifically made compatible with XP, and supports a lot more CD Burners and new technologies.

It can be really easy to use it if you use the wizards, or really deep and advanced if you are more advanced yourself, so it suits everyone.

I think you should at leas give it another try.

Do you think it's possible that Easy CD Creator 5.1 may work properly with my computer? Since I only upgraded to Easy CD Creator 5.02d with the xp_up.exe patch, I'm thinking that maybe 5.1 Platinum would work, cause I have a download site for 5.1 at the moment which I am gonna try and get.

hey paul2k...I'm not sure...does anyone know if nero needs the ASPI driver...if it doesn't paul2k have you installed the aspi driver before you loaded ECDC....if you haven't un-install it then download the aspi..install it then install ECDC do not reboot then update to the D version...do not reboot then load the xp patch then you can reboot as far as the IDE channels you have a ribbon going from you motherboard to the cdroms' and the hardrive make sure that the cdroms do not share the same cable if so connect one to the hardrive cable usually the fastest cdrom drive...and on the back of the drive you should see a jumper just take it off and set it to SL or slave and make sure the cdrom that is by itself is set to MA or master...hope this helps.:D

Originally posted by adobo
hey paul2k...I'm not sure...does anyone know if nero needs the ASPI driver...if it doesn't paul2k have you installed the aspi driver before you loaded ECDC....if you haven't un-install it then download the aspi..install it then install ECDC do not reboot then update to the D version...do not reboot then load the xp patch then you can reboot as far as the IDE channels you have a ribbon going from you motherboard to the cdroms' and the hardrive make sure that the cdroms do not share the same cable if so connect one to the hardrive cable usually the fastest cdrom drive...and on the back of the drive you should see a jumper just take it off and set it to SL or slave and make sure the cdrom that is by itself is set to MA or master...hope this helps.:D

OMG, man, read his post all through, he did try all that first, and he clearly says it:

"Installed the latest ASPI Layer from Adaptec; which is version 4.70."

he said that he uninstalled reinstalled the prog and then installed the aspi drivers....then said he did the update and xp patch but didn't say if he did it correctly by not rebooting after each step...so why don't you read my reply again..I explaining the right way to install ECDC to see if he did it correctly.man are you shitting diamonds in the morning seem kinda up tight.:D

LOL

I use nero and I never have problems I just had to laugh seems that everywhere I look I see a a guy who's name I wont mention that seems to have some kinda broomhandle placed in an area that seems to affect his mood towards people posting this might not be the place for it but we are all here to try and help anyway we can :p ;) :p :eek:

just had to laugh good luck with the easycd I prefere nero seems to work all the time and very well :cool:

You bet Adobo, I have installed Easy CD Creator 5.0 in the way you said, and I saw that same method described by someone from the Roxio company on the discussion board at boards.support.roxio.com. Also as I have said before I do not understand very much about computer hardware I know a little about the IDE cables, but I didn't understand the part where you said make sure that the cd-roms share the same cable.

paul2k..looking inside your case do you see the gray ribbon going from the motherboard to the drives (cdrom.cdrw,hardrive) the thinner one is for the floppy drive just leave that one alone...check and see if the ribbon going to the cdrom is connected to bother cdrom drives...if so take the one that is fastest and put it on the cable that is going to the hardrive...each ide ribbon should have atleast 2 black connectors...make sure that the cdrom jumper on the back of the drive is set to slave...and on the ribbon you should have one side with a red line this redline that should be next to the power cable for the cdrom(molex connector)basically its there so you don't put the cable in backwards...hope this helps...hope this is not to simpleton for you...wanted to make it as simple as possible.

Well adobo, I never actually did try to take apart my computer and change those things, but today I saw a new update on Roxio.com for any version of Easy CD 5.0x Platinum, which upgrades to 5.1 Platinum. According to the description on the site, it says it includes the Windows XP support, and it also "supposedly," "fixes" most drive problems in Windows XP. When I get home from college today, I'll have to download it and try it out and see if it works. If not, I'll call it quits for a while, and besides, I'm buying a new computer in a couple months anyway, which will already have a cd-rw drive installed and working properly. By the way, thanks for the help in the past.

Re: LOL

Originally posted by Kermit
I use nero and I never have problems I just had to laugh seems that everywhere I look I see a a guy who's name I wont mention that seems to have some kinda broomhandle placed in an area that seems to affect his mood towards people posting this might not be the place for it but we are all here to try and help anyway we can :p ;) :p :eek:

just had to laugh good luck with the easycd I prefere nero seems to work all the time and very well :cool:

Well, from what you replied to my other posts, I guess that person you mentionned is me. Well no, I don't have a broomstick in my ass, and I'm not in a bad mood either.

What's wrong in suggesting another program when the one he has is KNOWN for having problems!??? I just find it stupid to waste your time trying to find the little patch that will do it for Easy CD when Nero doesn't have any issues and is just as good (if not better). Use Nero and wait until Adaptec releases a new patch perhaps... we're just running in circles here. Unless you do know exactly what his problem is and you know exactly what to do to fix it, don't bash at my answer. That's only a logical troubleshooting solution man. If it doesn't work and you tried everything, and it still doesn't work... and you spent hours and hours trying to make it work, and you know another program will do the work, then USE that other program and drop the first one! The guy is not beta testing Easy CD after all!

That's why you say I have a broomstick in my posterior? I'm only being honest man, and if you read my posts above (all of them) you'll see that I DID try to help in the first place...

I might have missed one thing in the post I quoted though, sorry about that. Does that make me a "pissed broomstick in his ass" guy? common, now you are over-reacting.

the problem with ecdc is not the product but how people are applying the update and patches....its simple really and I have had no probs with it except that it sucks and I use nero and fire burner but I installed it to see what the hell is the big deal with it.
1. install the aspi driver
2. install the prog...don't reboot
3. install the update 5.01d...don't reboot
4. install the xp patch then reboot

I use this and have never ever had a prob ever:D but like mister Zee said user nero and you won't have to deal with any of this crap to begin with.

Members online

No members online now.

Latest profile posts

Also Hi EP and people. I found this place again while looking through a oooollllllldddd backup. I have filled over 10TB and was looking at my collection of antiques. Any bids on the 500Mhz Win 95 fix?
Any of the SP crew still out there?
Xie wrote on Electronic Punk's profile.
Impressed you have kept this alive this long EP! So many sites have come and gone. :(

Just did some crude math and I apparently joined almost 18yrs ago, how is that possible???
hello peeps... is been some time since i last came here.
Electronic Punk wrote on Sazar's profile.
Rest in peace my friend, been trying to find you and finally did in the worst way imaginable.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
naeemsafi
Back