Earth tremor?

Erbmaster

OSNN Veteran Addict
Okay, that was plain weird.

I'm sitting at my PC 15 mins ago, and the chair I sit in moved back and then forth sharply with a dull rumbling sound.
I jumped up immediately, and felt a duller motion then as I walked down the hallway it sounded like a huge storm was rattling the door.
I got to the door, It was literally shaking in the frame and the rumbling noise lasted about another 5-10 secs.
Then it all kinda calmed down. :eek:

There's no storm in my area atm, and I'm kinda thinking it was a mild tremor of some kind.
It freaked me out totally. Nothing seems affected, PC didn't flinch, nor did the lights.
I certainly didn't imagine it, does this sound like a tremor to any of you?
I know a lot of you live on the West Coast US. I guess you're familiar with tremors and the like. Is this normal? Seems real weird , I've never experienced anything like it.
I live smack bang in the middle of England (Northamptonshire) and it's not an area known for earthquakes lol.
Any ideas to what this might have been if not a tremor, and no before anyone asks I'm sitting here both sober and straight. ;)

Damn you're fast mate :D

I did do a quick search before posting but came up with nothing, guess I searched too soon after.

Thanks for that link, was kinda thinking I was losing the plot and maybe did imagine it lol.

I filled out the questionnaire at the USGS site.
Appears there's been 9 reports from my lil town already hehe.
Average strength was IV.
Looks like there was damage further North though.
Building damage etc.

As for London=SF...Hardly. In London it was v minor. :p
I'm 80 odd miles North of London, and it was mild here.
I'm only around 70ish miles from the epicentre.

4.7 magnitude on the Richter Scale we're not used to that kinda thing here. Humour us ;)

I thought you lot were made up of heartier stuff over there.

On the bright side a 4.7, we consider a window shaker, nothing else pretty much happens unless you don't have everything bolted to the foundation. There is a huge difference in scale going up, at least a hundred fold. Nice little rocker, especailly for someone who has never been in one before.

USGS is reporting 4.7. BGS has been unreachable for several hours.

It was working when I posted and its working now :yowch:

Its downgraded to a 5.2. Still quite a powerful quake, one of the most powerful in the last 25 years of UK history with the 1984 quake surpassing this one at 5.4 on the richter scale.

^ LOL :D

I didn't think earthquakes were possible over the UK.

possible anywhere in the world its just they are more common in certain places, we have had them before but they are more like two gnats having a light your fart competition, so we never notice them :)

^ LOL :D

I didn't think earthquakes were possible over the UK.

We're not that far from a plate boundary. Most of the serious hills and mountains in the UK are long extinct volcanoes so I can see fault lines slipping overtime as being realistic.

I only felt the buzz of my mobile as my mate in Hull sent me a text saying "Did you get that?" :p

It was working when I posted and its working now :yowch:

Its downgraded to a 5.2. Still quite a powerful quake, one of the most powerful in the last 25 years of UK history with the 1984 quake surpassing this one at 5.4 on the richter scale.

Awake an online at the time of the quake, I searched initially, and the USGS was the only source of info in regard to the strength of the tremor.
The BGS didn't offer anything until some 1.5-2hrs after the US survey had picked up hundreds of reports.
I had BBC News 24 on in the background post-tremor, and they were still quoting the USGS figure as late at 3AM GMT.
They then added around this time 'reports of the severity being 5.3 in relation to the US 4.7 from the BGS'
I guess they're in a position to make a more accurate assessment given proximity, but what took them soo long to get that info out?
A case of too little too late :p

Felt a bit of a wobble. Nothing too drastic though :D

yup.. you can even have earthquakes in Illinois in the middle of continental US..

Been a couple minor tremors over the last couple years in Illinois.. 1987, 2004, and 2006 all had a minor tremor in the 3 or 4 strength range. Mostly down in southern illinois, but the 2004 one was central to northern Illinois.

Members online

No members online now.

Latest profile posts

Also Hi EP and people. I found this place again while looking through a oooollllllldddd backup. I have filled over 10TB and was looking at my collection of antiques. Any bids on the 500Mhz Win 95 fix?
Any of the SP crew still out there?
Xie wrote on Electronic Punk's profile.
Impressed you have kept this alive this long EP! So many sites have come and gone. :(

Just did some crude math and I apparently joined almost 18yrs ago, how is that possible???
hello peeps... is been some time since i last came here.
Electronic Punk wrote on Sazar's profile.
Rest in peace my friend, been trying to find you and finally did in the worst way imaginable.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
naeemsafi
Back