E6700 vs E6600

BouncingSoul

Stranger Than Fiction
Political Access
I'm looking at both these cpu's on newegg.

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Produ...mpareItemList=N82E16819115002,N82E16819115003

As far as I can tell, they are identical aside from the 266mhz in speed difference. Having never owned a Core 2 Duo system before I'm wondering is that 266mhz worth the extra $94? Before anyone says anything, No, I'm not planning on overclocking it. After all my stuff breaks at its own pace, I don't need to help it along at all.

Nope, I dont see any reason to spend another $100 for 266Mhz, but thats just my personal opinion. If you want some extra ump out of the processor, buy a better heatsink for $40.

Nope, I dont see any reason to spend another $100 for 266Mhz, but thats just my personal opinion. If you want some extra ump out of the processor, buy a better heatsink for $40.

100 percent correct. getting a good heatsink and fan can make that e6600 into much more than a e6700. These Core 2 Duos can overclock nicely without a lot of worry of damaging the cpu.

That was going to be my next question ... Is the stock cooling fan good enough? I've heard they run really hot but I can't imagine Intel would provide substandard cooling on their cpu's.

I have heard that you can push them a decent amount even with the stock HSF. But I don't own one myself so take that with a grain of salt.

Standard fan is adequate for standard cooling. So if the case is well ventilated and the room temp is normal (72-78deg F) then the fan is fine.

Most likely you will be able to push the 6600 to 6700 level with the standard fan. The piddling little increase is a joke thermally as is the price delta economically.

The stock HSF stinks. I'd recommend a ZALMAN 9500/9700 for best results.

BTW, I had the E6700 running with the stock HSF and now I have the E6700 running with a ZALMAN 9500. Much quieter and a lot cooler.

the stock hsf is fine for stock cooling, almost any decent $30+ hsf will easily get you to the e6700 performance with the e6600.

I would go with this Hyper TX
look at the bottom of the article for purchase links...

Another Zalman user here. =) Word to the wise though, maybe spend an additional $3 and get a good thermal paste. I know I didn't and regret it.

good thermal paste is so under-rated, even adding good thermal paste to a stock hsf is a pretty big difference.

I say E6600 and good paste and Zalman, cant go wrong with that combo !

So what's a good thermal paste? I've still got some Arctic Silver that I used on my last system. Is that still good?

I don't know how long the stuff stays good but if it still has the same consistency it should still be good.

Members online

No members online now.

Latest profile posts

Also Hi EP and people. I found this place again while looking through a oooollllllldddd backup. I have filled over 10TB and was looking at my collection of antiques. Any bids on the 500Mhz Win 95 fix?
Any of the SP crew still out there?
Xie wrote on Electronic Punk's profile.
Impressed you have kept this alive this long EP! So many sites have come and gone. :(

Just did some crude math and I apparently joined almost 18yrs ago, how is that possible???
hello peeps... is been some time since i last came here.
Electronic Punk wrote on Sazar's profile.
Rest in peace my friend, been trying to find you and finally did in the worst way imaginable.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
naeemsafi
Back