e=mc2 true or false?

• Thread starter PiCTuREm3RolLin
  • Start date
ah I guess this would rank right up there with that Silicon nanoparticles

what are silicon nanoparticles? first time i hear anything like this

186,000 miles per second

Brad

Well lets just say they are very tiny pieces of silicon. If any is really wondering what I'm talking bout have a read via the link. But I will also say that might be a little too deep to understand.

xxbigeyedfishxx what does the speed of light have to do with mafiafromrussia question? I will say that is related to the topic of this thread

Silicon nanoparticles

allright i'll try to read that thing about particles tomorow after college( should understand more after college i think???")

as far as i know, light does travel at 186,000 m/sec., or at around 300,000 km/sec.

and yes, the universe continues to expand. in the time it takes you to watch a 1 hour television show, the universe will expand 1 billion miles in every direction.

however, it is agreed by most physicists that the universe does not have enough mass contained within it to cause it to recollapse, causing the opposite of the "big bang" theory, the "big crunch" theory, to take place.

as depressing as it sounds, what will probably happen is that space will continue to expand and all the suns in the universe will eventually burn out. of course, this will take some time because when a sun goes super nova, the particles and dust left over actually end up forming new stars. don't worry, we have at least another 15 - 20 billion years before the universe ends!

light is mass. light is actually made up of photons. this is why when light streaks across the vastness of space and comes close to a dense object like a black hole or a sun, gravity forces the light (photons) to bend towards that object. this bending may even possibly slow that beam of light down a bit.

as humans, we know less than 1% of 1% of the total knowledge of the universe.

as stated by someone earlier, i agree that in the future e=mc^2 will need to be reworked in some fashion.

because it may need to be updated or reworked does, in no way, take away from the fact that his equation has propelled the human civilization light years (no pun intended) beyond where it was before he did so.

although we, as humans, have made great strides since einstein, i still believe that no human alive today is as intelligent or creative as einstein. he's the type of person that only comes around once in a several hundred year period.

Ah ok thanks for the info koko. So if I read your post right they have yet to figure for sure if the new idea is right or that the theory still stands as it is

Quote: -

“and yes, the universe continues to expand. in the time it takes you to watch a 1 hour television show, the universe will expand 1 billion miles in every direction.”

This is not consistent with the theory that the Universe is expanding in all directions as “every direction” means just that, which includes inwards. I think the theory states that the Universe is expanding from its original “big bang” location outwards in all directions.

A theory is a fact until proved otherwise.

On a lighter note the best evidence I’ve ever heard that the Universe is expanding is that it’s dark at night. Think about it!

uh, actually, it is "expanding" in all directions. inwards and outwards. you forgot about all the matter falling into black holes and dense objects.

so there! :p

Originally posted by koko
uh, actually, it is "expanding" in all directions. inwards and outwards. you forgot about all the matter falling into black holes and dense objects.

so there! :p

koko: I prefer to think of it as: In the beginning everything was very close together and now everything is moving apart in some way. This is not the same as expanding in all directions and anyway large concentrations of matter in relatively small spaces (black holes) seem to be a function of this same process. It has been argued in some quarters that the original “big bang” was the other end of this equation (what happens when a massive black hole becomes unstable), another universe is created.

In reality no one knows.

so maybe expanding isn't the best way to put it, but space (not matter, but simply space) is moving outwards in ALL directions at the speed of 1 billion miles per hour. when i refer to 'space', i'm referring to a void...just emptiness. what is beyond this no one knows.

i wonder what the edge of the universe looks like?

to understand how the universe is expanding, you can simply use this analogy:

think about a raisin muffin. as the muffin is cooked, the muffin itself expands (space). The raisins on the inside (matter - galaxies, stars, dust, gas, etc.) spread apart from each other because of the expansion of the muffin (space). so, matter as a whole isn't really moving - space is expanding, causing the matter within it to spread apart.

of course, this is oversimplifiying everything a bit...but it's easier to understand when explained this way.

there is no true center to the universe...everywhere is the center.

instead of making mindless, moronic comments, why not use your brain a little and post your thoughts on the subject?

maybe you're just bored...or maybe you don't know enough about the subject to comment.

either way, post something worthwhile, eh? ;)

koko: -

There are some people who think that multiple Universes operating concurrently in what’s best described, as different time lines are the norm. Also that the best way of traversing large distances is by stepping sideways as opposed to a seemingly direct path as the distance between objects as viewed by the measurement of light might not be correct (as an exact measure).

What might appear to be millions of light years away could in fact be only a few miles away? I tried to explain this to my bank manager when asking for another extension to my overdraught but his eyes misted over and he referred back to his manual stating “your at your limit already”. How kind.

It makes a change discussing anything with someone that does not post “lol” as the answer to everything.

Good luck and be lucky.

i have 2 questions:

how do we know that the speed of light is the exact same speed at which mass becomes infinite when accelerating. If these speeds are different, then surely it would not matter if the speed of light varied It would only matter if the speed at which mass becomes infinite varied since that's what all calculations are based on?

Also, how can we tell if the speed of light is changing when we measure it across our galaxy? Wouldn't it be most likely that time is being dilated at some point by intense gravity and therefore making light "appear" to change speed?

There's more to Einstein than light

Someone mentioned gravity in one of the posts. We tend to separate e=mc2 as a single, stand alone equation. Einstein's work dealt with much more than that. His equations intertwine light and gravity. They are all connected - somehow. One of Einsteins theories was that the space-time continuum is perfectly flat until you toss in an object, especially a massive object. This distorts the continuum. Then rotate the mass and you twist the continuum. What effect would that have on light? We assume that light is travelling straight, yet if the continuum is twisted around every object of mass, does light travel in a straight line? Would this affect the apparent measured speed? Light from a billion year old quasar that is millions of light years away may travel a very twisted path to get here, yet it appears straight from our inertial reference. See, we do live in a twisted world!

I am currently working on a project to prove the twisted continuum part. It's a satellite called Gravity Probe B. If you want to read about it and see some of Einstein's equations (not for the faint of math heart), go to Gravity Probe B - the Relativity Mission .

ok iron guy

I have a pet theory of the universe, and I guess you are as good as anyone to ask for the liabilities in my theory;

since we have an expanding, and theoretically contracting universe, and so on and so on;

could we consider that our universe is a black whole, whithin a black whole?

the big bang would be the finite end to a black whole, where it turns white

the contraction would begin when the mass reached the limits of the exterior black whole

or maybe we are simply a black whole unto itself.

expanding, contracting as black wholes thoeretically do

ironguy: I have a silly question for you...

What is your opinion of Dr.Michio Kaku's theory that gravity might be the consequence of objects extending into 10 or 26 dimensions? (Actually the Kaluza-Klein theory...)

I know this is coffee talk type speculation, however after reading his theories of hyperspace and the history of Srinivasa Ramanujans modular functions, this theory of gravity seems to make sense to me (regardless of full mathmatical proof).

I'm in way over my head with this...however after reading your site I thought it would be interesting to get the opinion of this theory from someone in a related field.

We are getting near to being able to describe the next form of transport, which could loosely be described as a “gravity engine”. You know, the type of engine with no moving parts that merely concentrates or channels the existing forces of nature much like the sling shot effect used by many probes launched in the last decade to gain momentum by using gravity fields around objects but in addition being able to “null” them as well. If this could be harnessed actively and concentrated in an “engine” designed for the purpose: - speeds a factor of a thousand faster than is currently available could easily be obtained and mass would be an advantage here. Or using the opposite view you could move the universe around your vessel, this could in theory allow instantaneous “jumps” from one Universe to another. However the technology to enable this would require the mapping (and uniquely addressing) of all known destinations and the calculation of all known forces with the “flight path” as even a small change could lead to catastrophic events. This is beyond the current technology we know even if it is theoretically possible as even producing an accurate map of our own solar system is not possible with the tools currently available. The variables are so great.

Entwined particles and their operational theory would suggest that there is a way to traverse our universe without recourse to speed (light) or mass, but no one knows how, yet!

As an aside Einstein knew there was a problem with his original equation, during the latter part of his life did try to modify it but without success.

I like this thread , but unfortunately as much as i would like to question or agree with e=mc 2 , I simply don't have the mathematical knowledge to actually validate my beliefs on this (and probably will never have).

What i do have is a strong and pretty based belief that certain rules apply to certain environments, and at times only those environments.
Many environments are still unexplored and some even unexplainable, even matter is still not fully explored, the amount of unanswered questions and variables is so great so for now we can only assume and relay on what we do know (or think we know) to keep exploring those environments and matters.

e=mc 2 is probably 100% correct in our close immediate environment and regarding to simple matter. If it is also correct in unexplored environments and regarding complex matter, we might not find out in our lifetime.

There is also a chance that when we do, more or less, comprehend those environments and have simple rules "for them" e=mc 2 will prove to be wrong even in this environment, but for now we simply cant assume that.

Hope i didn't make a complete ass of myself sense my knowledge of physics is about as great as my knowledge of Japanese.

Members online

No members online now.

Latest profile posts

Also Hi EP and people. I found this place again while looking through a oooollllllldddd backup. I have filled over 10TB and was looking at my collection of antiques. Any bids on the 500Mhz Win 95 fix?
Any of the SP crew still out there?
Xie wrote on Electronic Punk's profile.
Impressed you have kept this alive this long EP! So many sites have come and gone. :(

Just did some crude math and I apparently joined almost 18yrs ago, how is that possible???
hello peeps... is been some time since i last came here.
Electronic Punk wrote on Sazar's profile.
Rest in peace my friend, been trying to find you and finally did in the worst way imaginable.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
naeemsafi
Back