e=mc2 true or false?

• Thread starter PiCTuREm3RolLin
  • Start date
hahaha, thanks, oh and I did get a Level 6 (highest in the class, and I got it (only 1)) in my SATs, a couple of months ago.

I got the highest score in the class !
(NOT BRAGGIN OR NOTHIN)

The inventor (since they are not natural elements) of Plutonium, Berkleyum (sp?) and Californium. He also did some A bomb work and received The Nobel Prize in Physics.:)

Cool, actually Very cool.

And you actually met him.

Excellent !!!!!

how do they even test the speed of light? Also answer me this.............if a beam of light is place on top of a car and the car is stopped. The speed of the light is 300000, but if the car travels and 100km/ph should the speed of the light be 300000 + 100?

Excellent : another reason to spend time here : doing my math homework ? Will you help me ? :D ( 40$/hour )

The Austrailian is probably right, but wrong. Light is a constant, but it can be curved as it travels through gravitational fields between us and the the billion mile away object....therefore taking longer to get here than the actual distance.

this is a very interesting subject and i find his theory fascinating. wonder if it'll hold up?

Originally posted by Khayman
How did Einstein come up with E=mc² (E=mc^2)? Did he just dream it up? What does it have to do with Relativity, which deals with time dilation and length contraction at great velocities Well, the equations involving time dilation and length contraction have consequences. One of these is that as velocity increases, mass increases.
Well the E=mc² formula is acctually a lot bigger than that. It's just in certain conditions (slow speed, some stuff like that) that the other parts of the formula nears 0 and can be removed without affecting the result much.

Originally posted by PiCTuREm3RolLin
how do they even test the speed of light?
Code:
Mirror /---------------- Receiver
       |
Mirror \---------------- Transmitter
Then you measure the time it takes for the light to reach the Receiver. Since the speed is so high you can measure the phase differance.

true........but how do they knw that the mirror doesn't effect the speed of the light

Because adding a third mirror won't change the result if the total distance is the same.

the speed of light we have come to know and love was measured in a vaccuum.. outside of a vaccuum the speed will change in repect the material characteristics (ie. air, water).. other factors such as quantum forces also have an effect, although imperceptible to our five senses..

keep in mind that Einstein was working with what was available at the time and also doing his darndest to realize the nature of our universe through mathematics.. despite all that who has proven him wrong in a factual way yet? theories are only as good as the paper they're written on until they're proven in repeatable action..

there's sooooo much more to learn.. humanity is still a crawling baby right now in terms of our current state of development.. chances are good that E=MC^2 may need to be altered to conform to newly discovered physics attributes at they are made.. heck one small discovery in the world of quantum physics can change a lot of previous concepts and "understandings"..

Did you know that they were also able to get a particle to travel faster than a beam of light.

They fired an electron at high speed, and fired the light beam through a dense material and the electron reached the end first.

So we can travel faster than the speed of light...we just have to slow it down first.

Also if light could travel at infinite velocity at the big bang then surely we could travel faster than light now travels, or are we going to be slowly limited to the max speed that we can travel at as the speed of light decreases?

Some danish scientists acctually "stopped" light. The sent a beam with a certain pattern into this thingy (right...). Then they could take the beam out again a little later if they wanted. Presto! Light memory. Then you could acctually walk faster than light! ;)

Members online

No members online now.

Latest profile posts

Also Hi EP and people. I found this place again while looking through a oooollllllldddd backup. I have filled over 10TB and was looking at my collection of antiques. Any bids on the 500Mhz Win 95 fix?
Any of the SP crew still out there?
Xie wrote on Electronic Punk's profile.
Impressed you have kept this alive this long EP! So many sites have come and gone. :(

Just did some crude math and I apparently joined almost 18yrs ago, how is that possible???
hello peeps... is been some time since i last came here.
Electronic Punk wrote on Sazar's profile.
Rest in peace my friend, been trying to find you and finally did in the worst way imaginable.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
naeemsafi
Back