Dynamic Hard Drive???

Heeter

Overclocked Like A Mother
Hi Guys,

I installed my friend's hard drive into my computer as a slave. It was a slave in his as well, no operating system, just files. My XP does not have it listed in My Computer. I checked the disk manager and it is listed there as "Dynamic" and "Foreign". I right click on it, and it gives me the choice to convert it to basic mode, but by doing so I will erase all info. What does this mean?

Thanks in advance.....

Heeter

I guess my question is this:

How come it works just fine in my friend's tower? (From where it is originally from). What does dynamic mean in this case?

Heeter

The answer to this and more is in the Disk Management Help. Just browse to Disk management/How To/Manage disks/ :)

Make sure the bios detects the drive. I think I remember that happening to me when Windows was seeing a drive, but didn't know what it was because the biod didn't detect it.

The Bios does recognize it. It did right from the get go.

Heeter

somehow, the partition on it was converted from a basic partition to a dynamic disk.

and for reasons unknown to me (i'm sure it's in some obscure KB article) you can only access that data on the computer where it was converted from basic to dynamic.

a lot of cool things can be done with dynamic disk, but you are limited in that you can't really reinstall with it or swap it to another computer.

I am gonna try the import info I found from Coathanger in the help section. I will try it later on.

Heeter

Members online

No members online now.

Latest profile posts

Also Hi EP and people. I found this place again while looking through a oooollllllldddd backup. I have filled over 10TB and was looking at my collection of antiques. Any bids on the 500Mhz Win 95 fix?
Any of the SP crew still out there?
Xie wrote on Electronic Punk's profile.
Impressed you have kept this alive this long EP! So many sites have come and gone. :(

Just did some crude math and I apparently joined almost 18yrs ago, how is that possible???
hello peeps... is been some time since i last came here.
Electronic Punk wrote on Sazar's profile.
Rest in peace my friend, been trying to find you and finally did in the worst way imaginable.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
naeemsafi
Back