Dynamic Disk or Basic Disk?

ElementalDragon

The One and Only
If anyone can tell me, which type of disk is better to use when on Windows XP Pro? Dynamic Disks or Basic Disks? If some of you are confused, it can be changed in the services part of the admin tools in Control Panel

Well that depends on if you are going to use two different harddrives as one or not. If you have just a single harddrives in your system go for basic but if you have two actual drives and want windows to see them as one then go dynamic

Yeah, dynamic is used for software RAID (and maybe some other things).

Originally posted by Zedric
Yeah, dynamic is used for software RAID (and maybe some other things).

the biggest advantage is say in a server you have a drive mapped everyone saves to (say personal folders) as you run out of room you can keep adding disks to the drive (called a volume)and make it bigger on the fly. up to 32 i believe and they cannot hold the OS it has to be on a basic disk. only problem, loose one disk in the volume, you loose the whole volume.:eek:

Originally posted by spikemic
the biggest advantage is say in a server you have a drive mapped everyone saves to (say personal folders) as you run out of room you can keep adding disks to the drive (called a volume)and make it bigger on the fly. up to 32 i believe and they cannot hold the OS it has to be on a basic disk. only problem, loose one disk in the volume, you loose the whole volume.:eek:
A JBOD array then (Just a Bunch Of Disks). :)

Originally posted by Zedric
A JBOD array then (Just a Bunch Of Disks). :)

has to do with raid card disk setup, nothing really to do with basic and dynamic disks as windows uses it

Members online

No members online now.

Latest profile posts

Also Hi EP and people. I found this place again while looking through a oooollllllldddd backup. I have filled over 10TB and was looking at my collection of antiques. Any bids on the 500Mhz Win 95 fix?
Any of the SP crew still out there?
Xie wrote on Electronic Punk's profile.
Impressed you have kept this alive this long EP! So many sites have come and gone. :(

Just did some crude math and I apparently joined almost 18yrs ago, how is that possible???
hello peeps... is been some time since i last came here.
Electronic Punk wrote on Sazar's profile.
Rest in peace my friend, been trying to find you and finally did in the worst way imaginable.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
AndersonLo
Back