Dynalink USB modem and RH 8.0

Tabula Rasa

Stranger Than Kindness
Political Access
Hey there ;)

I'm using a Daynalink ALE070 USB ADSL modem. and i'm trying to install it on RH 8.0 Linux.

I have checked the official site and there are no official Linux drivers (hmm do i even make sense???).
and I have checked the RH 8.0 Hardware compatibility list , and the modem isn't there.

Is there a manual way to install it???
(I have been told by MadHaxx()|2 i can install it as a modem by selecting the dev/USB as the devices source, but i don't see a dev/USB anywhere).

did you have it plugged in when you booted up? it should have looked for new hardware on bootup.

Well here's several things i've come up with, one of which should work. I've asked around to my other hacker associates, and done some research. solution 3 comes from Dynalink's own website here on installing an external modem with a personal adaptation of the usb location instead of the com port. hopefully it wont come to that though. but if it does, i dont see why it wouldnt work. oh well, good luck.

solution 1:
--------------------------------------------------------
go to System Settings=> Network, add a device like last time, choose xDSL instead of modem, if your usb modem shows up in the Ethernet (or whatever) Device, just enter the rest of the info & you should be set. if not goto solution 2

solution 2:
go to System Settings=> Network, add a device like last time, choose modem connection "Modem Device"
try:
/dev/input/ttyACM0
if that dosent work try
/dev/input/ttyACM1..if not then..2...then...3 until one works.
if that dont work :( try solution 3

solution 3:
okay, from what i can tell, usb modems have a 50% chance of being a winmodem (which means it was built so that windows could use emulation to simulate hardware tht isnt present). However, since (i'm assuming here) that this is a broadband modem provided by you or your ISP, it probably isnt.

this will likely work if:

1- the modem was plugged in and turned on when you setup redhat.

2- you know that your modem conforms to the USB Communication Device Class Abstract Control Model (= USB CDC ACM)? (lord help you if ya acutally know this
icon_neutral.gif
i know i wouldnt)

this would be the manual approach.

this will link your usb device (aka modem) to the modem device within the system.

type this into the console terminal:
(thats LN in lower case)

ln /dev/usb/acm/0 /dev/modem -s

you'll still have to set up your acct like solution 2 but type /dev/modem into "modem device" dont select it from the list

if that still dosent give you internet connection then try this:

rm -f /dev/modem (it may ask you to confirm.... type yes, it shouldnt though)

ln /dev/usb/ttyACM0 /dev/modem -s

(thats acm zero not letter "o") once again: you'll still have to set up your acct like solution 2 but type /dev/modem into "modem device" dont select it from the list

===================================

well thats my best shot, if anyone can do any better, more power to ya.

GOOD LUCK :)

Thanks for all the help MadHaXX()|2 !

I will try this one by one, hopefully one of them will work.

As for it being a winmodem, well i found some spanish tutorial regarding Mandrake and this modem.
but when i emailed my ISP for help their answer was "No support Linux" (and the typo isn't my).

Oh, I forgot to mention (And this may be important).
The modem has a globespan chipset, I looked at they're site , and found nothing.

yea, i saw some information on defferent chipsets but don't recall seeing globspan off hand (i've slept since then:))

there are a lot of things that aren't on the official linux mfg websites, as far as drivers & software stuff. when i first started using linux linmodems.org was a simple (like only a few pages) website that the guy put up ranting about how winmodems aren't modems, now it's the ultimate (i guess) linux winmodem site that everyone links to.

if none of that stuff i wrote helps, you could always try google (just the one i use, works great for me) searching "linux usb modems" and the like. sometimes you even find posts on other websites with people who have/had had the same thing you're trying to do, and a solution for it. sometimes someone writes something that'll make what you have work, and thats how the open source networks work. if at first you dont find anything, just put linux aside for a while, or toy with it on your spare time (that or get known linux compatable hrdwr) till something comes up.

it aint as wide spread as windows is yet, but it's more than twice as powerful, and it's catching on.

let me know how it went. sounds like youre getting to be a pro. pretty soon you'll be building your own kernel, and installing Gentoo linux (pretty difficult for someone that knows what their doing)

Thanks for all the help and the confidence boost MadHaxx()|2 , I actually searched Google for a solution b4 even asking, all i found was questions on how the hell you get this modem to work, no answers.
I went into #Redhat on IRC and after getting lagged for a dumb question someone told me he was trying for ages, but never got this modem to work in Linux.
There is always a chance it is simply impossible, so i think that I'll do a little more research, and if i find nothing I'll kill the linux.

Thanks again for all the help ;)

Members online

No members online now.

Latest profile posts

Also Hi EP and people. I found this place again while looking through a oooollllllldddd backup. I have filled over 10TB and was looking at my collection of antiques. Any bids on the 500Mhz Win 95 fix?
Any of the SP crew still out there?
Xie wrote on Electronic Punk's profile.
Impressed you have kept this alive this long EP! So many sites have come and gone. :(

Just did some crude math and I apparently joined almost 18yrs ago, how is that possible???
hello peeps... is been some time since i last came here.
Electronic Punk wrote on Sazar's profile.
Rest in peace my friend, been trying to find you and finally did in the worst way imaginable.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
naeemsafi
Back