Dying Bananas

Geffy

OSNN Veteran Addict
Thought this was pretty good but not right for the front page.

Edible bananas may disappear within the next few years if action is not taken to develop new variants which are resistant to blight. It seems that various diseases and pests are slowly encroaching on crops across the globe.

The main problem is that the banana that we eat is seedless. Due to its sterility this beloved frout could slip the way of its predecessor which was wiped out by blight almost 50 years ago.

The proposed solution is to use Genetic Modification, but this puts it under much public scrutiny due to GM concerns.

The current variant of the banana that is consumed across the world is the Cavendish banana, but this tyoe lacks any genetic diversity. For this reason it is now under threat from:
  • Panama Disease a soil fungus (wiped out the Gros Michel variety in the 1950s)
  • Black Sigatoka, also a fungal disease which is now reaching woldwide epidemic proportions
  • Pests - Many are invading plantations in Central America, Africa and Asia
Also the various fungicides are proving useless against the diseases especially Black Sigatoka.

Projects are now underway to Genetically Sequence the Banana within 5 years. These projects will focus mainly on the inedible varieties as these appear to be resistant to Black Sigatoka. Unfortunately many of the large producers are hesitant to support these projects fearing public consumers will not accept a GM Banana though it may soon be the only option if one wanted to have a banana.

This was found at the BBC Sci/Tech New site.

Originally posted by Burpster
dang...glad i dont like bananas much

Oh come on you got to admit that watchin a fit bird eat a banana is a great sight. Imagine if you were robbed of that.

:eek: i might not be able 2 have a job refiling the bannana's @ tesco 4 very long:eek:

:cool:

Originally posted by Henyman
:eek: i might not be able 2 have a job refiling the bannana's @ tesco 4 very long:eek:

:cool:

Haha the world is conspiring to put Henyman out of a job

WHAT?! Does that mean no more bannana milkshakes!!

YESS! YEEEESSS!

Maybe Apple is behind it??!! :p :D

Microsoft, please come to our aid!!! :eek: :happy:

Sorry Leo154....:happy:

Just, couldn't help myself..it was way too easy...:)

I feel as though I should smack you for that but I am too tired please run as fast as you can into my fist.

I thought about putting here is my firewall, kindly run into it as fast as you can, but I thought that was a bit stupid.

.... and not as painful either...I send my firewall as my goon..and just let our firewalls beat the crap out of eachother ... :cool:

And just let them go bananas!!! :p

Cheers!!! :happy:

Originally posted by Nedreplan
.... and not as painful either...I send my firewall as my goon..and just let our firewalls beat the crap out of eachother ... :cool:

And just let them go bananas!!! :p

Cheers!!! :happy:

:D :p :D

Originally posted by Nedreplan
Maybe Apple is behind it??!! :p :D

Microsoft, please come to our aid!!! :eek: :happy:

lol :happy: :happy:

Microsoft apple buster 1.0 perhaps?

NWAAAOOOOOOOOOOO

not bananas, if we let them go, whats next?! pineapples?!!! think of all the hilarious pineapple and banana situations that have gone unseen for years, we cant let hilarious fruit be erased forever!!

Potatoes are also bred to our liking, they are actually tiny little red things. I like chips.

Members online

No members online now.

Latest profile posts

Also Hi EP and people. I found this place again while looking through a oooollllllldddd backup. I have filled over 10TB and was looking at my collection of antiques. Any bids on the 500Mhz Win 95 fix?
Any of the SP crew still out there?
Xie wrote on Electronic Punk's profile.
Impressed you have kept this alive this long EP! So many sites have come and gone. :(

Just did some crude math and I apparently joined almost 18yrs ago, how is that possible???
hello peeps... is been some time since i last came here.
Electronic Punk wrote on Sazar's profile.
Rest in peace my friend, been trying to find you and finally did in the worst way imaginable.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
naeemsafi
Back