DVI - HDMI no audio.

G

gh057

Hiya fellas ,

I recently built a media server for my living room and ran into a bit of trouble with the audio. After much research I have found out that the DVI-toHDMI wont support sound .

The setup

Gigabyte - GA-G31M-S2L --- using on board audio
XFX - Nvidia Geforce 8600 GT for DVI-to-HDMI output

okay so i connect the video and its working amazingly , i connect the audio to my TV ( 42LG5D ) in a RGB/DVI audio in port and no audio, funny thing is when I disconnect my DVI-HDMI connection the audio starts working and when i plug it back in the audio stops which leads me to believe that HDMI is trying to use the sound from my video card but the video card doesnt have a audio output.

Any suggestions?

Thanks
gh057

Last edited:
Not good. If the video card does not support audio over the HDMI link and the TV only looks at the HDMI audio when HDMI is active you are out of luck. You will have to use a lower quality video link IF the video card supports one.

Plan B would be to use a set of amplified speakers or tie the Auddio output from the PC into your home sound system.

okay scratch last theroy i plug in a headphone and i can hear stuff

Could well be a TV setting. I know my TV has the option to select HDMI audio if it is available so you might want to look at settings there.

As far as no audio over DVI - I got my ATI cards doing just that today so now the HDMI from my PC now supplies audio and video. Groovy.

Electronic which ATI card did you get ? That was actually my original plan but I had a extra 8600 i figured I'd use :-/ .. ,ooks like i have to buy the HDMI capable one .

P.S I hope that ATI card is PCI-e

@ LeeJend .. See the problem is when I plug in my headphones with the DVI-HDMI I can hear sound
When I plugin the RCA cable from PC to TV I cant hear a thing but if I disconnect the HDMI the sound comesback on

@ElectronicPunk I checked my TV even called LG customer support ... after much reading the Manual ( http://us.lge.com/download/product/file/1000002392/42LB5D.pdf ) I did the exact samething they stated still no sound.

Heres the spec of TV if you wana take a look ( http://us.lge.com/download/product/file/1000002392/h_42lb5d.pdf )

Thanks,
gh057

I have the HD3870X2, but I think most of the HD range will do it.

I would guess - although haven't used the pinouts that ati have something custom in there.

The adapter came in the box anyway and I just used an existing HDMI cable.

Members online

No members online now.

Latest profile posts

Also Hi EP and people. I found this place again while looking through a oooollllllldddd backup. I have filled over 10TB and was looking at my collection of antiques. Any bids on the 500Mhz Win 95 fix?
Any of the SP crew still out there?
Xie wrote on Electronic Punk's profile.
Impressed you have kept this alive this long EP! So many sites have come and gone. :(

Just did some crude math and I apparently joined almost 18yrs ago, how is that possible???
hello peeps... is been some time since i last came here.
Electronic Punk wrote on Sazar's profile.
Rest in peace my friend, been trying to find you and finally did in the worst way imaginable.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
naeemsafi
Back