dvdrw + dvd/cd wont display in My Comp

dubstar

format c:
after installing my BenQ 1620 DVD+-RW drive, none of my Dvd drives show up. if i disconnect the BenQ the other one shows up. In Device Manager the BenQ shows up as some crazy W&#_8n73hjd (not really that, but similar) they are on the same IDE cable

i was thinking of just reinstalling windows anyway, should i just format, or try to fix the problem?

edit: i only installed the BenQ now, its the only CD/DVD i have on the comp now and it loads fine in device manager, but comes up with Error 41, cannot find "hardware device." it still does not show up in My Computer

"Windows successfully loaded the device driver for this hardware but cannot find the hardware device. (Code 41)"

Last edited:
thanks for the help but i cant find any drivers on any search engine or anything. just firmware which wont let me update because it doesnt find the drive. i think im heading toward a format.

thanks anyway.

XP has the drivers just sometimes they don't install right.

Try this go to device manager right click the drive select update driver go through the screens, select "install from a list or specific location"

Direct it to "c:/windows/driver cache/i386"

should come up with "cdrom.sys" for driver or if that don't work you can select a driver on one of the update driver screens. There will be a list of drivers you can select "cdrom" see how that goes.

i dont have cdrom.sys. i remember a while back i did some removal of things to reduce the size of XP. when i pointed it to "c:/windows/driver cache/i386" it said it couldnt find any drivers, please point it to a folder that does.

i did a search and found it in "ServicePackFiles/i386" so i directed it there and it told me that it could not find a better match than the one selected. am i screwed?

i've got no cd rom support and cant even format and re-install XP.

what should i do?

Last edited:
No your not Screwed yet :laugh: .

Shut down and disconnect the cd or dvd drives then when you reboot go to where you found the "cdrom.sys" file/driver and copy it to

"c:\windows\system32\drivers"

Shut down and connect one drive boot the system see if the drive installs right if it does then shut down and connect the other drive.

If not post back.

it exists in that folder. i just keep getting Code 41. :(

should i select "dont search, i will choose the driver i want to install"?

edit: i just installed a virtual drive using Alcohol 120.. even it has a driver problem. same code.

Last edited:
Yes select don't search tick "I will choose the driver to install" then select
"cdrom" from the list lets see if it will go that way.

code 41 again.... :( "Cannot Start This Hardware...there was a problem installing this hardware"

The second link above has info about "upperfilters and lowerfilters" I have had to delete the upperfilters and lowerfilters before to fix a problem like this (back the key up first) and try that.

Will your old drive install Ok without the new one?
Do you have another system you could test the new drive in? (may be a bad drive)

woo hoo! with just my Lite-On CD-RW/DVD it works fine. i deleted the lowerfilter, there was no upperfilter. now i've got a new problem. when i connect the BenQ on the same IDE cable only one drive shows up and it shows up crazy looking.. "_3rJDK#d#dk" some gibberish like that. i had this setup working before, and it worked fine.

when they're both connected there is no error (yellow question mark).

i think i'm being forced to only have one of my BenQs installed or the one LiteOn. :(

thanks for all your help bush dogg, any more tricks for this new problem?

What about the jumpers are they set correct.

And your welcome.

bush dogg, you are the man. a million thanks. tonights first beer is dedicated to you.

I hate to say it but always check the "easy stuff" first. A drive doesn't show or both start acting funny check cables/jumpers first. :D

*edit* - also my DVD+RW drive wanted to be master and stated so in install instructions. ;)

Last edited:

Members online

No members online now.

Latest profile posts

Also Hi EP and people. I found this place again while looking through a oooollllllldddd backup. I have filled over 10TB and was looking at my collection of antiques. Any bids on the 500Mhz Win 95 fix?
Any of the SP crew still out there?
Xie wrote on Electronic Punk's profile.
Impressed you have kept this alive this long EP! So many sites have come and gone. :(

Just did some crude math and I apparently joined almost 18yrs ago, how is that possible???
hello peeps... is been some time since i last came here.
Electronic Punk wrote on Sazar's profile.
Rest in peace my friend, been trying to find you and finally did in the worst way imaginable.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
naeemsafi
Back