DVD Writer vs CD Writer

dubstar

format c:
can a DVD Re/Writer make CDs the same way a CD Re/Writer can?

yes they can, but they are nowhere near as fast with the CD writing as they are if you buy just a plain CD-RW drive. I think the reason they had to have the CD writing speeds so slow is cause it's new technology.

As mentioned the reduction in CDR/RW speed is a problem.
Stand alone technology on cd Writers is up to 48x24x48 or more.
Average on DVD Writers for the same, is approx 16x10x40.

Roger, for some reason i don't even think that DVD-RW drives can write to a cd even that fast yet. don't know though. haven't checked in a while. And i think the fastest CD-RW is up to 52x24x52. that's the speed i have, and i think they're saying that they can't be made to burn any faster.

if they increase the quality of the cds, i bet they can burn faster...

just my opinion..

well, from what i read (which was on here about a month or 2 ago), i think they said they would have to make the cd's thinner and more durable, which would drive the price up on those cd's drastically

The problem is the rotational speed really. At 52x the disk is subjected to extreme forces. The Diablo II CD:s, known to be kept at full speed during gaming, sometimes shattered for people who played the game much. Also tests have shown that at about 70x any CD will give up and shatter throwing deadly shrapnels around, sometimes even through the case sidepanel (!) if you are unlucky.

Originally posted by ElementalDragon
Roger, for some reason i don't even think that DVD-RW drives can write to a cd even that fast yet. don't know though.

The Pioneer DVR-105 can burn DVD-R at 4x and CD-R at 16x (retails for ~£200)

Originally posted by dubstar
if they increase the quality of the cds, i bet they can burn faster...

just my opinion..

unfortunately untrue... the speed a CD can be burned is determined by the speed of the burner... so if the DVD-RW drive can only burn CD-R at 16x, 48x media can therefore only be burned at 16x

The Diablo II CD:s, known to be kept at full speed during gaming, sometimes shattered for people who played the game much.

godbless the no cd patch

yes, no-cd patches are good, but you sorta have to wonder.......

WHAT on EARTH is that diablo 2 cd made out of to be able to fly through the actual sides of the cd drive AND side panel.:eek:
What did Blizzard do, figure out how to make the litterally most deadly game on earth!!!!! one friend of mine said he was already playing D2 for a while, and when he took the CD out of the drive, he said it was so hot it felt like it was gonna melt.

Cd burning may seem faster than DVD but consider this:

3.1X DVD burns at 4278 KB/s
24X CD burns at 3600 KB/s

All this because DVD grooves are thinner and holds more info per inch.

cheezzzz

Originally posted by ElementalDragon
yes, no-cd patches are good, but you sorta have to wonder.......

WHAT on EARTH is that diablo 2 cd made out of to be able to fly through the actual sides of the cd drive AND side panel.:eek:
What did Blizzard do, figure out how to make the litterally most deadly game on earth!!!!! one friend of mine said he was already playing D2 for a while, and when he took the CD out of the drive, he said it was so hot it felt like it was gonna melt.

Polycarbonate plastic <-------- for maximum pleasure :blink:

Stadje found that today's high-speed 52x CD-ROM and 16x DVD drives stress the delicate plastic-and-metal disks they read. In lab tests at Atlas Copco Controls, spinning optical disks at top speeds - up to 30,000 revolutions per minute (rpm) - resulted in severe damage to the ceiling and the protective metal sleeve that encased the test spindle. At 52x CD-ROM speeds (27,500rpm) disks shatter in a "rain of plastic particles", shooting out long, sharp, knife-like shrapnel at half the speed of sound: "The result was a pile of shimmering plastic chips," he says.

http://www.smh.com.au/articles/2002/12/09/1039379779472.html

Ouch! :)

hehe that would be fun. i gotta see it to believe it

whatever you do dont have your cd drive out the case and tilt it when its reading at 40X i put a nice 1mm deep scratch into the CD. and a nice bench grinder sound.:)

Originally posted by cheezzzz
Cd burning may seem faster than DVD but consider this:

3.1X DVD burns at 4278 KB/s
24X CD burns at 3600 KB/s

All this because DVD grooves are thinner and holds more info per inch.

cheezzzz

but the thread is about burning CD-R in a DVD-RW drive as compared to burning it in a CD-RW drive... so the speed of DVD burning isnt applicable.

Members online

No members online now.

Latest profile posts

Also Hi EP and people. I found this place again while looking through a oooollllllldddd backup. I have filled over 10TB and was looking at my collection of antiques. Any bids on the 500Mhz Win 95 fix?
Any of the SP crew still out there?
Xie wrote on Electronic Punk's profile.
Impressed you have kept this alive this long EP! So many sites have come and gone. :(

Just did some crude math and I apparently joined almost 18yrs ago, how is that possible???
hello peeps... is been some time since i last came here.
Electronic Punk wrote on Sazar's profile.
Rest in peace my friend, been trying to find you and finally did in the worst way imaginable.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
naeemsafi
Back