DVD/Video software for Vista

Tabula Rasa

Stranger Than Kindness
Political Access
Hello again everyone. New OS, Lost of questions :D

Up untill now I used Nero Showtime as a DVD/avi player and it was perfect for me. But now after switching to Vista and getting rid of Nero in general (and Showtime specifically - works crap with Vista) I'm looking for a decent DVD/Video playback software.

Any recomindations of apps that would run well with Vista and wont be to "Heavy".
Freewere is an advantage :)

Media Player :)

i use it for just about all media. works fine :)

you can try VLC...but i have used the media player w/o any problems so far.

media player classic, the best freeware player available, make sure you install ffdshow as well. VLC is the second best, but "heavier" than media player classic.

WMP11 works nicely for most video types with ffdshow installed.

Thanks for the tips everyone, last question on that subject:
Is there any way to play a DVD folder (from the HD for example) in WMP?

Is there any way to play a DVD folder (from the HD for example) in WMP?

so long as an appropriate program stream splitter, dvd navigator, MPEG2 decoder and ac3/dts decoders are installed, all you would need to do is open the video_ts.ifo to play the dvd

so long as an appropriate program stream splitter, dvd navigator, MPEG2 decoder and ac3/dts decoders are installed, all you would need to do is open the video_ts.ifo to play the dvd
Sorry I'm being difficult, but I want to understand and not just monkey this through.
In short, what is a stram splitter and dvd navigator?
I do have ffdshow installed, but for all I know it only acts as a MPEG/ac3 decoder.

I'm using Media Player Classic on my desktop and Media Player on my laptop, both work fine

what is a stram splitter

a piece of software that can separate a container (in this case an mpeg program stream) into video, audio, subtitle etc streams in order to be decoded or read, and subsequently rendered

dvd navigator?

basically allows menu navigation. all required filters are registered during installation of most commercial software players, eg powerdvd and windvd, and should allow playback in wmp.

but the reason i suggested media player classic or VLC is because they are free, open source, tried and tested, versatile, lightweight and include all splitters, decoders etc for dvd playback. ffdshow takes care of (just about) everything else if you choose media player classic, while VLC has libavcodec already, and needs nothing.

Great :)
I tried dvd playback using the copy of Media Player classic that comes with quick time alternative and it works like a charm :D

Thanks for all the info vertigo, rep is comming your way once I can give it to you again.

Members online

No members online now.

Latest profile posts

Also Hi EP and people. I found this place again while looking through a oooollllllldddd backup. I have filled over 10TB and was looking at my collection of antiques. Any bids on the 500Mhz Win 95 fix?
Any of the SP crew still out there?
Xie wrote on Electronic Punk's profile.
Impressed you have kept this alive this long EP! So many sites have come and gone. :(

Just did some crude math and I apparently joined almost 18yrs ago, how is that possible???
hello peeps... is been some time since i last came here.
Electronic Punk wrote on Sazar's profile.
Rest in peace my friend, been trying to find you and finally did in the worst way imaginable.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
naeemsafi
Back