DVD Storage Question....

davmail

Bike Pilot!
Hi, I am thinking of buying a DVD Burner, not to copy videos, but to store stuff, but, how much can you store on 1 DVD??700mb's or more????Thanks.

A standard single-sided DVD± can hold 4.7GB of data (4700MB). Double-sided discs hold that amount per side.

Thanks Reg!

I'm gonna get one then!Cheers for quick reply.......

Does not the + & - matter when buying the reader, writer and again the DVD itself?

Which is better or rather more popular? Can readers read both + & - ?

Cheers

Recordable DVD's can hold approx 4.5GB of data.

I personally prefer the "minus" type but with data I suppose it doesn't really matter.

If you can't decide, get a drive that's capable of writing both!

If you live in the UK buy a Pioneer DVR106 from http://www.scan.co.uk

BARGAIN!

:)

Right now, there is currently no real difference. Any modern DVD player will play both + and - discs. In a sense, the - is more compatible with players, but the + has better data integrity and is faster. Either or, you should be good.

What about dvd-ram for data?
I believe it will access data much faster?

Slightly OT - A warning

Anyone reading this thread and buying a DVD drive - I would STRONGLY suggest you never contemplate burning the firmware unless you have the wherewithall and programmer to make a backup of the firmware chip. Chances are you'll reduce your drive to a very expensive paperweight (I know because I've done it!)

So I just wanted to share that knowledge.... *sigh* :eek:

Re: Slightly OT - A warning

Originally posted by MainframeGuy
Anyone reading this thread and buying a DVD drive - I would STRONGLY suggest you never contemplate burning the firmware unless you have the wherewithall and programmer to make a backup of the firmware chip. Chances are you'll reduce your drive to a very expensive paperweight (I know because I've done it!)

So I just wanted to share that knowledge.... *sigh* :eek:
I've updated the firmware on everything I've owned (including my Sampo standalone player). With DVD burners (I'm on my second firmware update, waiting eagerly for the next) it's almost a necessity if you expect good performance and compatability with various 2X, 4X discs. It takes awhile to get the firmware right, a new model is basically using a glorified beta, waiting for complete reports from realworld use so various tweaks and adjustments can be made.

Members online

No members online now.

Latest profile posts

Also Hi EP and people. I found this place again while looking through a oooollllllldddd backup. I have filled over 10TB and was looking at my collection of antiques. Any bids on the 500Mhz Win 95 fix?
Any of the SP crew still out there?
Xie wrote on Electronic Punk's profile.
Impressed you have kept this alive this long EP! So many sites have come and gone. :(

Just did some crude math and I apparently joined almost 18yrs ago, how is that possible???
hello peeps... is been some time since i last came here.
Electronic Punk wrote on Sazar's profile.
Rest in peace my friend, been trying to find you and finally did in the worst way imaginable.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
naeemsafi
Back