DVD region-free: Fools RPC-2 (hardware-locked) drives

Rigsta

OSNN Addict
So basically you can play DVD movies from any region with this software running.

This shareware fools both the drive's firmware and the DVD player software. It's not final yet so don't be surprised if there's a bug or two, just report them.

Very cool proggy! Unfortunately the link provided with the program seems to link to DVD-idle :/ but try it anyway since the file is about 4KB over the attachment size limit even if I compress it further.

http://www.dvdidle.com/

That's a good page. Shame they didn't release RPC-1 firmware for my combo drive tho, then I wouldn't need the software in the first place :/

Thanks for the tip. That was funky =)

i was actually trying to see if there was a Region Free Player but i didn't stop to think that it was a Drive variable =P

Thanks =)

It can actually be both. DVD player software usually tries to restrict what region you use - so you could have an all-region drive, but still be restricted by the software. BUT software is easier to get around than hardware - there's fixes for almost every player program out there to make them region-free :D

Since software's easy to get around, the only real restriction comes with RPC-2 (region-locked) DVD drives. You can often convert them to RPC-1 by installing new firmware, but that's not always available. Hence my posting of this excellent proggy that fools both the hardware AND the software in one blow ^_^

Members online

No members online now.

Latest profile posts

Also Hi EP and people. I found this place again while looking through a oooollllllldddd backup. I have filled over 10TB and was looking at my collection of antiques. Any bids on the 500Mhz Win 95 fix?
Any of the SP crew still out there?
Xie wrote on Electronic Punk's profile.
Impressed you have kept this alive this long EP! So many sites have come and gone. :(

Just did some crude math and I apparently joined almost 18yrs ago, how is that possible???
hello peeps... is been some time since i last came here.
Electronic Punk wrote on Sazar's profile.
Rest in peace my friend, been trying to find you and finally did in the worst way imaginable.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
naeemsafi
Back