DVD Problems?

M

MJS

Hi,

First of all, Merry Christmas to everybody, I hope you have a great day free of any hardware problems :D

Right, here is my problem. I got the Band of Brothers DVD boxset as a gift from my parents (Opened early :p ). I have seen the series before, so I just played the making of the series in the DVD drive on my PC, which all went fine. After that, I watched 1 of the episodes with no problems. It seems that some of the disks don't work though. I enter them into the DVD drive, the green light flashes a few times, but it doesn't read the disk and when I go to 'My Computer', it says there is no disk inserted. It doesn't seem to recognise some of the disks so it doesn't start spinning and reading them.

It is very strange, there seems to be a pattern with which of the DVDs the drive doesn't recognise. This is what I mean:
Disk 1 doesn't work, Disk 2 works. Disk 3 doesn't work, Disk 4 works. Disk 5 doesn't work but Disk 6 works.

That seems very strange to me. I tried all the disks out dowstairs on the 'proper' DVD player and they all work fine with no problems but when I play them on my PC, like I described with the pattern, the 1st disk works, the 2nd disk don't work, the 3rd disk works etc.etc.etc.

Any ideas what the problem could be?

Thanks and Merry Christmas again!

:)

they probebly have protection on them so you cant play them, therfore you cant copy them using a computer :p probebly on every outher cd to cut costs ;)

Read the box label and see if it mentions copy protection.

And try them in a consumer DVD player. If any of them don't work there then the copy protection is excessively intrusive.

Also, are the DVD's the right ones for your geographic region? Weren't ordered over seas or picked up on a trip?

If they were from another Region then there are DVD region killers out there to overcome the restirctonon your fair use.

The region code is region 2, which is correct for the UK.

I mainly use Windows media player to play the DVDs, but I also tried Power DVD to try the 1s that don't read, but it's not a case of the player not opening it, its a case of I enter the disk, but the DVD drive doesn't think there is a disk inserted.

:)

Back to my suggestion of trying them in a home entertainment DVD player. There are multiple formats used for movies:

They use both sides of the DVD.

They sandwich two layers on one side. If they did the sandwich thing I don't know if a PC DVD reader would see it.

Anyone out there who's a DVD expert... HELP!

No double sided discs can be read by DVDROMs.

You could check for a firmware update for your DVDROM?
I'm not saying that you should update but have a look for your model and see if similar problems are mentioned in a changelog, if one exists.

EP-

hate to disagree with you, but i've never had a problem playing back any double sided disk in dvdrom. Have had a few problems with dual layer discs though.

dreamliner, you weren't disagreeing with me.
Just a drunken lapse of my grammer.

What I mean't to say was.

No [in response to the claim that they won't work], double sided discs can be read by DVDROMs.

Oops :D

Sadly there is none left to me.
Only some spirits that I am saving for tomorrow.
More clubbing tomorrow night ;)

I'm gonna come to the uk sometime and take you out like a good Boston boy does.

I'm gonna come to the uk sometime and take you out like a good Boston boy does.

I was out last night drinking £60 bottles of champagne ;p
And wine.
And beer.

:O

Was a little worried about driving home, but there were no police about.

Members online

No members online now.

Latest profile posts

Also Hi EP and people. I found this place again while looking through a oooollllllldddd backup. I have filled over 10TB and was looking at my collection of antiques. Any bids on the 500Mhz Win 95 fix?
Any of the SP crew still out there?
Xie wrote on Electronic Punk's profile.
Impressed you have kept this alive this long EP! So many sites have come and gone. :(

Just did some crude math and I apparently joined almost 18yrs ago, how is that possible???
hello peeps... is been some time since i last came here.
Electronic Punk wrote on Sazar's profile.
Rest in peace my friend, been trying to find you and finally did in the worst way imaginable.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
naeemsafi
Back