DVD Jerking problem.. and what is the best dvd software?

T

ThePunkerGuy

Ok, here is my problem.. i have the Pioneer 16X dvd drive. It is running as a slave to my Lite on 32x10x40 cdrw drive. The burner is running pio mode and the dvd drive is running at DMA4 mode. I am running my Sound Blaster Live! Digital 5.1 sound card in 5.1 mode. In my DVD playing programs i have chose the option "SPIDF Out" to get my speakers to work in 5.1 mode. The problem is that the DVDs jig up and the sound can get a little off from the movie some times.. This is in Power DVD.. I was playing a dvd in Windows media player 9 and after a little while it says it that windows media player had a problem and needed to close. So.. how can i make this thing stop jerking and what is the best program to use for playing DVDs? Thanks!!
- Mike

i have almost the same setup as you 16X Pioneer slot DVD(slave) Liteon 32X burner(master) both with DMA enabled Xgamer soundcard and use Power DVD to play my DVD's and not a hint of a problem!!

the only differnce is i havent played with any SPIDF settings

The jerking could be due to some finger prints on the data side of the disk, or some scratches.

PowerDVD is fine for playing DVDs, I usually use WinDVD, but that is only because that is what came with my Graphics card. I didnt get one with my DVD drive as it is that old. Well actually I got Creative DVD cause I had a DXR3 card, but that is beside the point.

Also how much RAM, Free Hard Drive space do you have, as well as processor speed.

[edit] having looked at your sig, your processor and RAM are fine, how about the hard disk. Keep goin with the DMA modes though, you never know[/edit]

what DMA modes are you drives running in? And could my cd burner running in PIO mode be mssing up the dvd player since it is the slave? And i cant get the dang cd burner to run in DMA mode!! I have it enabled in the bios and windows!! arg!
- Mike

I have 512mb of PC2100 (crucial) with no other programs running the bkg.. i am running an Athlon XP 2000+ @ 1.7ghz.. I have 5gig free on my C Drive (20gig WD 7200 ata100 drive) and 20gig free on my F Drive (2X 40gig WD 7200 ata100 on Raid 0). For some reason i cannot get my cd burner (the drie that my dvd drive is slave to) to stop running in PIO mode.. when it should be in UDMA 2 mode, but the DVD drive is running UDMA mode 4
- Mike

If I dissable the Spidf stuff (the surround sound) then it stops jerking.. but i loose surround sound. How can i fix this?
- Mike

can you not alter the Transfer (DMA or PIO) settings in the Motherboard BIOS?

I can, i set the dma speed for them as high as it will let me.. then it also has the pio mode option.. it wont let me dissable it, but i put it as low as it will go. And i have "DMA if avalible" in windows xp.
- Mike

Originally posted by ThePunkerGuy
If I dissable the Spidf stuff (the surround sound) then it stops jerking.. but i loose surround sound. How can i fix this?
- Mike
try newer sound drivers, maybe..?

I've had some problems with jerking in PowerDVD as well. Other DVD-players work (I use Abit SiluroDVD).

Members online

No members online now.

Latest profile posts

Also Hi EP and people. I found this place again while looking through a oooollllllldddd backup. I have filled over 10TB and was looking at my collection of antiques. Any bids on the 500Mhz Win 95 fix?
Any of the SP crew still out there?
Xie wrote on Electronic Punk's profile.
Impressed you have kept this alive this long EP! So many sites have come and gone. :(

Just did some crude math and I apparently joined almost 18yrs ago, how is that possible???
hello peeps... is been some time since i last came here.
Electronic Punk wrote on Sazar's profile.
Rest in peace my friend, been trying to find you and finally did in the worst way imaginable.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
naeemsafi
Back