dvd for xp

A

aberflasm

my dvd player needs an updated driver that costs about $30 ever since i upgraded to xp home edition. does any one know if there is a way around this? like perhaps an alternative driver or sumthing. I have a had time accepting that just because i run a better OS that i have to pay to use something that was working just fine under 98se. that would have to be my biggest compliant with upgrading to xp. so many things that worked just fine now cost xtra to keep running. any way any suggestions would be greatly appreciated

what kind of player? make sure you give the full model number.

NEC 12X/40X DVD-ROM Drive It came pre-installed from Gateway.

thanx but i already tried that. i was hoping perhaps there was a way around having to pay for the updated driver.

I'm now in a "chat" session with gateway. If they won't give me a driver for your drive, i'll tell them I'm not going to buy the new gateway i've got my eyes on. A bald-faced lie of course :p

Awright, got down to the bone of it. My confab:

Lonman: Is the 5501500, 5501604 NEC 12x/40x DVD Rom compatible with Windows XP. If it is, can you provide me with a link for the XP compatible drivers please.

Maxim: All the DVD's are compatiable in WIndows XP, in order to make it work you need to purchase the DVD software that is compatiable to Windows XP, the software such as Cinemaster, Soft DVD etc.

Lonman: So XP installs default drivers and all that is needed is the software to access the drive then?

Maxim: Yes, you got that right, Lonman.

Lonman: Great, thank you very much for your time.

Maxim: You are welcome, Lonman.

Very nice service, that chat w/ a tech thing.

So, not a driver issue. You need software to watch your movies, is that right?? Does the DVDRom still read CD's ok?? Just need to clear that up before going on to the next step.

thanx. i love talking to them techy's. i just wasn't asking them the right questions. yes cd's and games both work fine work however when i put in a dvd it opens up in explorer. i believe i need CINEPLAYER® DVD 4.0 Upgrade decoder for $29.95 made by Ravisent. Do i have to use theres or is there i less expensive one compatable with xp that i may use

I believe there's a plug-in for Windows media player that will play DVDs for you.

I had a similar problem with my DVD player. (also a gateway)
When i tried using WMP to play DVDs, I got an error saying it couldn't open. I found a free DVD decoder plug-in so WMP will play DVDs and they have been working fine ever since. It is only 383kbytes and is a microsoft installer program.

In case you are interested, I found the link for it at this site:

http://www.devhood.com/messages/message_view-2.aspx?thread_id=1959

Scroll about halfway down that page. You are looking for DVDPack.msi

thanx scriptasylum. i'll check it out when i get home from work.

Members online

No members online now.

Latest profile posts

Also Hi EP and people. I found this place again while looking through a oooollllllldddd backup. I have filled over 10TB and was looking at my collection of antiques. Any bids on the 500Mhz Win 95 fix?
Any of the SP crew still out there?
Xie wrote on Electronic Punk's profile.
Impressed you have kept this alive this long EP! So many sites have come and gone. :(

Just did some crude math and I apparently joined almost 18yrs ago, how is that possible???
hello peeps... is been some time since i last came here.
Electronic Punk wrote on Sazar's profile.
Rest in peace my friend, been trying to find you and finally did in the worst way imaginable.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
naeemsafi
Back