Dvd Drive Problem

tom91

OSNN Junior Addict
Hi,
Ok just a quick question would a bad Dvd drive make a pc go unbelivibly slow were the mouse lags and the programs in the background almost come to a stop. I ask because today when going to install Hitman Bloodmoney off the PC Gamer demo disk it turned my pc into the slowest thing you have ever seen. It did this a bit back but after re-instaliing windows it worked fine untill today.

Did everything turn back to normal when you ejected the disc?

Sometimes if a disc is a bit scratched/hard to read windows can go a bit crazy attempting to read it, which uses up a lot of resources for some reason. Once you eject the disc everything goes back to normal however.

So if not, then I'd say it's a different issue, but I may be wrong. Give it time for others to reply. People are in all sorts of different time zones here.

EDIT: Also, when your computer slows down, hit ctrl+alt+del and have a look under the processes tab to see what's using up all your cpu.

Yh as soon as i eject the disk every thing goes fine. But I dont think its the disk because it does it with every disk i try even new ones. would it have the same effect if the Dvd drive is Nackered?

there is a possibility a dying drive could exibit those symptons. The laser could also be dirty and thus unable to read the disc and causing those problems. You can either try a CD/DVD cleaning kit or buy a new drive (drives are really cheap now a new one would be better, could get a faster one or a burner).

Yh i was thinking of buying a new drive but i thought i would ask first. I was just wondering if it is the drive how come it fixed after i re-installed windows.

If a reinstall fixed it then it was probably a software/OS issue. However if the problem comes back then it is definately a hardware issue.

So your saying because it has come back again its more than likly a hardware problem and i should buy a new Dvd drive?

Members online

No members online now.

Latest profile posts

Also Hi EP and people. I found this place again while looking through a oooollllllldddd backup. I have filled over 10TB and was looking at my collection of antiques. Any bids on the 500Mhz Win 95 fix?
Any of the SP crew still out there?
Xie wrote on Electronic Punk's profile.
Impressed you have kept this alive this long EP! So many sites have come and gone. :(

Just did some crude math and I apparently joined almost 18yrs ago, how is that possible???
hello peeps... is been some time since i last came here.
Electronic Punk wrote on Sazar's profile.
Rest in peace my friend, been trying to find you and finally did in the worst way imaginable.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
naeemsafi
Back