DVD drive plays CDs but not DVDs...

Mainframeguy

Debiant by way of Ubuntu
Has anyone else had this? Any ideas if I should investigate hardware or software? I tried it with both PowerDVD and VLC - neither recognizes a disc in the drive (oh and yes it is meant to be a DVD R/W drive BTW!)

What types of DVD's - are they burned media or RTM? Have you tried the DVD's in other devices?

Does Windows Explorer recognize any content on the drive?

no - think none is "seen" - varies depending on the disc I put in though I think and of course CDs are fine - sometimes I am unsure which optical format things are (IE install discs may be either I guess, but movies either burnt or bought are failing) shall investigate further though!

At a long shot it may be worth trying to upgrade the firmware.

Strangely, I had a similar problem but in reverse. My drive repeatedly clicked and made strange noises with any CD it was attempting to read, eventually failing, but was fine with DVDs!

I replaced it soon afterwards :)

shoot - this drive is, I think, my newest of all my builds! Anyone care to recommend the top line |DVD RW drive for least built in redundancy? IE greatest longevity?

Lite On is also good, cheaper too but they build a lot of the drivers for bigger brands such as Plextor.

Surprisingly MADDDOG (Compusa house brand). Cheap as dirt, plays/burns anything, quiet. My best Burner ever.

But first go to device mangler and make sure it recognizes the drive by name, not just "generic drive". If it doesn't have the drive ID'd right saying DVD something or other - Remove the drive (power and ide). Reboot. Shut down and reinstall the drive. See if it recognizes it as a DVD Optical drive then.

If you're feeling lazy just select uninstall for the device listed in device mangler and then reboot. Faster but not as complete as the disconect method.

LeeJend,

Maddog is not a CompUSA house brand. They are a reseller and usually use BenQ or Liteon OEM drives. What's the ID on your drive?

Been a long time since Plextor used Lite-on, they learned their lesson.

MD-16XDVD9A2 is the model number. 1.F0 firmware loaded, 3F3 is the latest.

Same as NEC 3520, at least there are posts on swapping the firmwares between the two.

Members online

No members online now.

Latest profile posts

Also Hi EP and people. I found this place again while looking through a oooollllllldddd backup. I have filled over 10TB and was looking at my collection of antiques. Any bids on the 500Mhz Win 95 fix?
Any of the SP crew still out there?
Xie wrote on Electronic Punk's profile.
Impressed you have kept this alive this long EP! So many sites have come and gone. :(

Just did some crude math and I apparently joined almost 18yrs ago, how is that possible???
hello peeps... is been some time since i last came here.
Electronic Punk wrote on Sazar's profile.
Rest in peace my friend, been trying to find you and finally did in the worst way imaginable.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
naeemsafi
Back