DVD drive or not

C

ChrissiCom

I have a really strange problem... when I connect my Asus E616 (16x) DVD-Drive to the Promise Controller (ATA100 onboard) on my A7V motherboard win xp detects the drive as CD-Rom Drive. When I connect it to the VIA IDE controller it is detected as DVD-Drive but it only uses DMA66 then which is slower.

Any idea about what is causing that problem ? The Promise Controller is properly detected by XP.

Chrissi

i have same problem. i have a panasonic dvd drive with promise ata100 controller. i just stooped worrying about it saying cdrom and just played dvd's/ dont worry about what it says. you kno what it is

i'm assuming you have the lastest drivers installed for the promise card?

You say that it drops your dvd to ata66? dvd drives and cdroms for that matter run at ata33 speeds so this shouldnt make a difference in performace GL

The Asus E616 DVD Drive indeed supports ATA100 (read the website and the manual) and it is about 10-15% slower on ATA66 bus using several benchmarks. Only old cd-drives use ATA33 and I am not aware of any dvd-drives using ATA33, they're normally all ATA66 or the newer ones ATA100.

Chrissi

Transfer Rate: (as defined by sanyo)
The amount of data which is transferred from the CD-ROM to the computer. The CD-ROM transfer rate is limited by the speed at which the disc rotates in the drive. The conventional CD-ROM transfer rate is approximately 150 kilobytes/sec, referred to as 1x. Therefore, a quadruple speed (4x) CD-ROM drive can transfer data at a rate of 600 KB/sec.
So even the best Kenwood 72x transfers at 10,800 kb/sec. Of course this isnt the burst rate. Your Asus which reads cds at 48x (48 x 150) is 7,200 kb/sec. The interface speed is the speed at which it transfer from the cache of the drive. This is concidered burst speed. The Asus DVD E616 has 512k cache.

It's absolutely right what you're saying... the max CD-speed of the drive is 7200 KB/s. But the max DVD-speed is at 21640 KB/s because of the much higher density of a DVD you can have more transfer at a lower rotation rate.

21,6 MB would be no problem for the ATA66 bus although I also have two hard disks connected with burst rates of up to 41100 KB/s that means (without the CD-RW at the bus) the maximum possible transfer rate is ~111000 KB/s which goes far through the ATA66 limit of 66 MB/sec. Therefore the DVD-drive will be slower on the ATA66 bus than on the ATA100 bus which allows 100 MB/sec.

The decision I took now was to connect the two hard drives to the ATA100 bus and the two CD/DVD-drives to the ATA66 bus. This way I need to have both buses activated which slightly downgrades performance especially when booting but I can't reach any transfer limit of the bus.

Chrissi

Well it's not a reason or solution...but it really doesn't mater what X speed the DVD rom drive is unless you got a buncha DVD data disks laying around or are doing copying of DVD's to your harddrive...

since all DVD drives play movies at 1x speed only :)

Everyone needs a 16 speed fast forward dvd. Can watch the whole movie in 15 minutes. Time is so precious.

You can try editing your registry, go to HKCU\Software\Microsoft\Windows\Current Version\Explorer\CD Burning Drives. You will find a volume number for each of your CD's. In the right hand window a dword value is shown for each. 1 is CDROM, 2 is CD-RW, and 3 is DVD. Change the value for your drive to 3 and reboot.

Glad it worked, it's worked for me several times when XP wanted to call my CD-RW a DVD drive.

Members online

No members online now.

Latest profile posts

Also Hi EP and people. I found this place again while looking through a oooollllllldddd backup. I have filled over 10TB and was looking at my collection of antiques. Any bids on the 500Mhz Win 95 fix?
Any of the SP crew still out there?
Xie wrote on Electronic Punk's profile.
Impressed you have kept this alive this long EP! So many sites have come and gone. :(

Just did some crude math and I apparently joined almost 18yrs ago, how is that possible???
hello peeps... is been some time since i last came here.
Electronic Punk wrote on Sazar's profile.
Rest in peace my friend, been trying to find you and finally did in the worst way imaginable.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
naeemsafi
Back