Dvd Drive Not Workingggg!!!!!! Hellppppp

Gary Pandher

OSNN Senior Addict
my dvd drive isn't working properly for some reason it wont read the dvd or cd's
it says its installed properly with no errors in device manager but still wont work properly anyone know what the problem could be?
its a samsung dvd player
samsung dvd rom sd-612
This device is working properly.

If you are having problems with this device, click Troubleshoot to start the troubleshooter.

tried the trouble shoot thing that didn't work
tried to uninstall it and it installed itself after a restart but still wont read the cd's or dvd's..any ideas?..

I had a dvd burner that did the exact same thing. After trying everything I could think of I finally shot some compressed air into the tray opening and amazingly it started workin again. Was good for about two more weeks then quit again. Your laser is probably dirty, or out of adjustment, or just burnt out.

Sometimes the simpliest drives are a hit or miss. I had a lot of problems with a Lite-on DVD 16x and finally returned it for a new one. Seems like there was no reason why it wasnt reading the cd/dvd and yes everything was reading "working properly" as does yours.
Anyway,, check out the Region settings in the properties tab for the drive and make sure that there on "English or United States".
Assuming that you already tried installing the factory drivers and/or a windows update for your OS then maybe try to upgrade the firmware on the drive.

Good Luck

it used to work before on a win xp setup
i did a fresh install a while back and it hasn't worked since so i dont think its burnt out or anything..
a firmware upgrade?...samsung's site will have it?..

whenever i have a cd in there
and click on
E: in my computer
it says please insert disc in E:

any idea y this might be?..

tried to burn a cd on my burner n now that wont burn...every cd i put in it says insert a writable cd :huh:

Originally posted by desimatrix007
my dvd drive isn't working properly for some reason it wont read the dvd or cd's
it says its installed properly with no errors in device manager but still wont work properly anyone know what the problem could be?
its a samsung dvd player
samsung dvd rom sd-612
This device is working properly.

If you are having problems with this device, click Troubleshoot to start the troubleshooter.

tried the trouble shoot thing that didn't work
tried to uninstall it and it installed itself after a restart but still wont read the cd's or dvd's..any ideas?..

My DVD drive is the same as yours and mine has that problem aswell. It ain't worked for the past last 6-7 months now. I keep on forgetting to buy the DVD drive cleaning kit aswell. The lens could be dirty!

Ive had the same problem after formatting my laptop with XP PRO, all i did was install service pack 1 and now it works perfectly.

Has it just started playing up or is after installing xp ?.

Try moving Dvd drive and CDRW onto seperate IDE cables and set the jumpers on the back of the drives to CS (cable select).

Try turning back on IMAPI Cd Burning Com service if you have turned this off.Also uninstall nero and the file called nero in your program files then download the latest version from nero.

Try new firmware for your dvd drive from
Here but follow the instructions to the word on flashing.

But whilst typing this i found this link you may not want to read
Samsung

But read this site its a support forum for your drive....fancy that:confused: Support forum

i tried switching them up makin the other master and the other slave but then xp wouldn't boot up :huh:

Members online

No members online now.

Latest profile posts

Also Hi EP and people. I found this place again while looking through a oooollllllldddd backup. I have filled over 10TB and was looking at my collection of antiques. Any bids on the 500Mhz Win 95 fix?
Any of the SP crew still out there?
Xie wrote on Electronic Punk's profile.
Impressed you have kept this alive this long EP! So many sites have come and gone. :(

Just did some crude math and I apparently joined almost 18yrs ago, how is that possible???
hello peeps... is been some time since i last came here.
Electronic Punk wrote on Sazar's profile.
Rest in peace my friend, been trying to find you and finally did in the worst way imaginable.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
naeemsafi
Back