DVD drive not visible in WinXP

E

el_dub

No DVD drive available in WinXP. Any ideas fellas? Thanks in advance for any help or suggestions...

Current Config.

Mobo: Abit KT7A Raid
Proc: AMD Athlon T-Bird 1200 MHz
512 MB Ram
Pioneer DVD Drive
Lite-On CDR/RW (It sees this drive)
(2) IBM Drives 46.1 GB & 61.5GB (sees both of these as well)
Hollywood Plus DVD decoder card

el_dub=out:confused:

Check that your drive settings are correct.
That one of the Drives is on master, the other on slave. Check cable connections, and see if it is detected in the BIOS.

I've encountered this prob too with my DVD drive when i first bought it.. I checked everything(jumper,cable, etc) and nothing went wrong. So, i just popped in a DVD title and off it goes running well. :D BTW, are u able to eject the drive?

I am currently {
| |
intrigue_alvin83@hotmail.com
| |
alvinauboonhock
}
=========================
Intel P4 1.5 Ghz
Intel D850GB MOBO
256MB PC 800 RDRAM
20GB Maxtor HDD (5400 RPM)
40GB Maxtor HDD (7200 RPM)
52X Creative CDROM
8X4X32 Creative CDRW
16X ASUS DVD ROM
Iomega 100 MB USB Zip Drive
SYBA Ultra ATA IDE controller card
SB live 5.1 DE
Ageing Gainward 64MB GF2MX400 --> | Upgrading to GF4 Ti4 series |
Altec Lansing ACS 56
Dlink D538TX NIC

Thanks for replying. I would have replied sooner but couldn't log onto this board for the last 12 hours for some reason. Anyway, back to my problem, I have checked the jumper settings, power cable, IDE ribbon cable, bought rounded cables, changed back to my flat IDE cable, made changes in the BIOS for DMA and UDMA and I see the Pioneer DVD in the Bios at bootup, just not when I get to my desktop. I know about disabling ctfmon.exe, and I'm guessing that my problem is a Mobo/WinXP driver issue. This is an older board, an Abit KT7A-Raid + Athlon 1.2GHz proc. I'm running VIA 4.42, 4-in-1's, and apparently I'm missing part of the puzzle here. Nismo83, did you mean detect or eject the drive as you asked?

Thanks again guys for replying...

I mean eject the drive but since ur BIOS does detect ur pioneer dvd, i think u just popped in a dvd-rom and see if its play it cos' mine the last time doesn't show up at the desktop till i popped in a dvd-rom and play it.

I am currently {
| |
| |
alvinauboonhock
}
Intel P4 1.5 Ghz
Intel D850GB MOBO
256MB PC 800 RDRAM
52X Creative CDROM
8X4X32 Creative CDRW
16X ASUS DVD ROM
SB live 5.1 DE
Altec Lansing ACS 56
Dlink D538TX NIC

ohz yea.. el_dub. It will autoplay it once u put the dvd in.

I am currently {
| |
| |
alvinauboonhock
}
Intel P4 1.5 Ghz
Intel D850GB MOBO
256MB PC 800 RDRAM
52X Creative CDROM
8X4X32 Creative CDRW
16X ASUS DVD ROM
SB live 5.1 DE
Altec Lansing ACS 56
Dlink D538TX NIC

Okay is your drive (DVD) even showing in device manager. And you say you saw the BIOS list the DVD when it boots now is it showing in BIOS itself ie. Master IDE1, Slave IDE1, Master IDE2, however your set up.

I guess I will make this quick, if in fact you see everything in BIOS and it is set up right, then I would have to say its a software prob. meaining something with XP, is the drive supported, Do you have drivers for the player(install them first). and just for the hell of it if you have another box see if it works in there. If not the only other thing I could say would be switch the Lite-on with the DVD player and leave the CD-RW out and see if it picks up the drive then.

Thanks for all the replies and advice fellas. I will try jumper settings, resetting the CMOS, switching the IDE channels and a few other things and let you know how I made out. Phew, only a few months to upgrade out of this mobo hell.

Appreciate the help again guys...

I had this prob myself. I finally solved the prob by turning of the udma option for that drive in the bios. The drive then appeared in xp and runs in multiword dma 2.

hmm... that's interesting. in all the posts in here, there's one thing missing. Did you happen to check if it's on the Windows XP HCL (Hardware Compatibility List)? that could be causing your problems as well, since i believe that it will still show up. never got the chance to check cause i bought my computer with windows XP and it would be a complete ripoff if not everything was compatible. Even though i was having trouble with my CD-RW drive at first, it's pretty much cleared up now with SP1.

still can't believe that nobody mentioned the HCL :confused:

actually "is the drive supported" I was talking about compatablity with XP b/c I know I had an older 3com card that just was not going to install on XP would not see it at all no errors in device manager nothing, thats why I was asking if el_dub new if it was supported or if he could see the drive in Device manager. But that is a good point I should see if it works now with SP1 I never did try and find out!! I just went a bought a new one. :)

before you buy the products, did you read the lable that says it required the system be high quility or something. Plus the lable should tell you what the driver is for. for example: a lable listed WIN95, WIN98, and WINXP or WIN2000. If the lable has it then your computer should have no problem with it. I bought mine PowerdvdLite which is only for xp. There's for win98 or win95 if you told the seller who sold you the products. :)

One thing to check before making any changes is to go to start menu/administrative tools/computer mangement/storage/disk management. Go to the right bottom panel & see if the dvd rom is there. If so reassign it a drive letter.
You can also look here.

re dvd probs

i had exactly the same problem with my pioneer dvd 116 when i upgraded to xp . all u have to do is to upgrade the firmware for the dvd drive .u may have to do it a couple of times before it will work.the two files u need are a firmware update program called FUPW2K.exe and 116v112A.exe.the first is the firmware flash program and the second is the hex code it needs to update the drive ,if u have probs getting them from the net email me and i will send them to u..hope this helps..email:edward@geach66.freeserve.co.uk

Members online

No members online now.

Latest profile posts

Also Hi EP and people. I found this place again while looking through a oooollllllldddd backup. I have filled over 10TB and was looking at my collection of antiques. Any bids on the 500Mhz Win 95 fix?
Any of the SP crew still out there?
Xie wrote on Electronic Punk's profile.
Impressed you have kept this alive this long EP! So many sites have come and gone. :(

Just did some crude math and I apparently joined almost 18yrs ago, how is that possible???
hello peeps... is been some time since i last came here.
Electronic Punk wrote on Sazar's profile.
Rest in peace my friend, been trying to find you and finally did in the worst way imaginable.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
naeemsafi
Back