DVD Capacity

BouncingSoul

Stranger Than Fiction
Political Access
I'm assuming this has something to do with the amount of space when formatted vs the amount of raw space but I'm going to ask anyway.

I've got DVD+R's. Like other media they say they hold 4.7 Gigs but Nero won't let me write more than 4.5 gigs (unless I overburn). Is this normal? Also I heard DVD-R's hold more. If so how much more? Are they just as compatible with DVD players as the +R's are?

yeah its normal, no dvd-r an dvd+r hold the same amount, so no thats wrong, your right about the formatting or i think its actually like how hard drive manufactureres use the 1000byte instead of what windows uses 1024 thats why

i think the OS does get a lil bit of space off a disk, like my 120GB hd shows as 111gb, my 750mb cd show up as 7xx something, but if you get a good brand like princo, memorex, maybe it'll better, and also update your drive frimware ;)

no, its not. its different system that the os uses compared to manufacturers 1000 vs 1024

Yeah 4.5 sounds about right. Just like HD's companys that make burnable DVD's cheat the numbers by rounding off. I'm not sure about DVD-R having more space over DVD+R but if it was any it would be so small that it's nothing to even change anything. Also unless you don't care about whats on the DVD I wouldn't suggest overburning really.

4.4-4.5 is about normal. As said earlier, manufacturers use 1000 bytes where OSs use 1024 bytes. At 1000 bytes, a 4.7 GB disc would be 4.7 billion bytes. However, the OS (using a different metric) would show that as 4.5898 billion bytes.

Reg said:
4.4-4.5 is about normal. As said earlier, manufacturers use 1000 bytes where OSs use 1024 bytes. At 1000 bytes, a 4.7 GB disc would be 4.7 billion bytes. However, the OS (using a different metric) would show that as 4.5898 billion bytes.
Yeah between filesystems and misleading avertising you can never win in the storage market. You would think the industry would do something about these misleading figures (more the makers then OS as that really does have to do with filesystem as they all handle file sizes differently). I mean the DVD maker knows full well that they DVD labeled 4.7GB just doesn't have 4.7GB of useable storage and are allowed to get away with it. This kind of practice should have been stopped with HD's.

Members online

No members online now.

Latest profile posts

Also Hi EP and people. I found this place again while looking through a oooollllllldddd backup. I have filled over 10TB and was looking at my collection of antiques. Any bids on the 500Mhz Win 95 fix?
Any of the SP crew still out there?
Xie wrote on Electronic Punk's profile.
Impressed you have kept this alive this long EP! So many sites have come and gone. :(

Just did some crude math and I apparently joined almost 18yrs ago, how is that possible???
hello peeps... is been some time since i last came here.
Electronic Punk wrote on Sazar's profile.
Rest in peace my friend, been trying to find you and finally did in the worst way imaginable.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
naeemsafi
Back