DVD Burner buying tips?

Blue Jack

OSNN Addict
There was an old thread here, but I didn't want to bump an old thread, so I'll ask again if you all don't mind.

I'm confused on the standards. The whole -/+ thing.... So let me start by telling what exactly I want to do.

The main purpose of the drive would be backing up. I have a rillion mps3 that I usually just rotate around my harddrives as I do a routine reformat. I collect too much stuff so I like to wipe off the harddrives every couple of weeks. In doing this I lose alot of my games ( maps/patches/configs) so I would want to burn them all to a DVD so reinstalling can be simplified.

There is also an occasional movie here and there that I seem to "aquire" that would be kinda cool to actually watch through the DVD player ( TV). So I need a drive that would be compatable with external players.

Is there an "All purpose" burner? What exactly does -r and +r mean? How is the compatability of the media between other systems? Meaning can I burn backups of files and transfer them successfully to another system using a different DVD drive? What is a comon format, being that I am also a student, and I used CD-Rs now to carry files to and from school, I still would need something to do this.

For those of you that use DVD burners, can you suggest some models? And kinda shortly tell me why you like/dislike? Also, DVD playback: The DVD player I have now still has problems with newer DVDs, meaning I put them in and I can't watch them. My DVD drive is a good four years old, so I need to upgrade anyway. Suggestions?

Thanks.

1) For straight backup purposes, the best format is DVD-RAM (but this is overkill for most peeps).

2) DVD-R supposedly has better compatibility. I, personally, have never had a problems with DVD+R.

3) Some Burners that support +R allow you to change an indentifiying bit so the burned disc will look to be DVD-ROM to readers.

4) I am impressed with the HP 300n that I have access to. It is only +

5) A Multiformat driveis you best choice.

6) From another forum, the BenQ 800a is highly recommeded. As retail it is only a + drive, but for $10 online, you can buy a firmware to add - support and also speed increases. Seems BenQ is really good about releasing firmware updates. LiteOn's and Plextors seem to really well too

1. I generally just use DVD+R when doing most things with my DVD burner. MY drive doesn't support is DVD-RAM. DVD+R allows about 4.3 GB for a data burn.

2. Using my 2 (?) or more year old Apex AD-1500 DVD player I haven't had a single problem with DVD+R burned movies.

3. I really haven't had much of a chance to experiment with DVD burners. Most of the ones that friends have are the El Cheapo ones and I just wasn't impressed although they loved them. Not enough formats for me, etc.

4. I completely agree on multi-format being the only way to go.

5. I've come across some discussions lately and although I've never owned a Lite-On, these issues have made me not inclined to purchase one at all. It seems there's been issues with both their CD-RW and DVD burners. Hopefully they can clear that mess up for themselves. I purchased a Plextor about 5 months ago and I have yet to have any problems whatsoever. I haven't had a single bad burn and I go for the 8x DVD+R burn everytime using TDK DVD+R 4x media. The Plextor 708A does cost a bit more than others but the extra initial investment is more than worth it when it comes down to features and reliability, IMO.

/rotjong

rotjong said:
5. I've come across some discussions lately and although I've never owned a Lite-On, these issues have made me not inclined to purchase one at all. It seems there's been issues with both their CD-RW and DVD burners. Hopefully they can clear that mess up for themselves.

/rotjong

IMHO, Lite-on makes the best cdrw drives. Sometimes you need to flash the firmware (they constantly release revised firms).

Also, that APEX dvd player will play just about anything you throw at it. Now try a Sony, they are the pickiest DVD players.

I'd agree...Lite-on make great products from my experience..i own both a Lite-on CDRW and DVDRW drives and they both work an absolute treat. Very good indeed.

I just bought the HP 400i, I like it so far

you have to remember, that when you buy a multiformat drive, when they say it's an 8X drive, they mean it burns DVD+R at that speed. DVD-R usually burns at a slower speed.

My Sony DVD Player reads both +RW and +R

When it comes to computer components, I'd prefer to use Lite-On for drives because they are very good quality. Haven't had any problems with any of the DVD-roms or cdrw drives that I've bought.

Since you're looking at DVD writers, I'd suggest that you look at those that support both DVD-R & DVD+R.
From what I understand, DVD-R is supported by some dvd players, while DVD+R are usually supported by PCs only. I'm still slightly confused with what supports what, and will be even more confused in the coming months because I've just read in the news that two new DVD formats will be introduced - one of them being the Blu-ray Discs supported by Sony, Matsu****a and some other big players.

Plextor have always made excellent drives. I just purchased their +/- format 8x DVD burner a few weeks ago and it flies. Quiet, too. :)

I have a TDK +r/+rw drive and it works great (rebadged plextor I have read) ;) Also I think what you use to burn the DVD makes more the difference on if it will work w/ a "real" DVD player or not. I can burn DVD's w/ my TDK and works fine in all the "real" DVD players I have around the house and DVD drives on all computers. If you got the $ though you might wanna grab a multi-format burner as they are much cheaper now (about the cost of what my single format cost me).

devynal said:
Plextor have always made excellent drives. I just purchased their +/- format 8x DVD burner a few weeks ago and it flies. Quiet, too. :)

Agreed. My Plextor 708A is amazingly quiet. Works great for +/- DVD burning and works flawlessly for any CD burning or ripping. It was well worth the money.

As for this thread in general... In the end it really comes to personal preference and what experiences people have had with different brands. I've owned a Plextor CD burner before and loved it and am willing to spend a little bit extra just for the Plextor name... and quality. You have to go with your budget, your preferences, good research on the different products available, and your gut feeling.

As noted by Xie... the media you use will have an amazing impact on things. Of course the hardware always will, too. TDK DVDs and CDs have always worked perfectly for me with my Plextor drives. I honestly can't tell you the last time I had a coaster and I've never had one using one of my Plextor drives. I'm probably not alone here, though, and I'm sure Lite-On users have had similar results.

/rotjong

I have two Lite-on CD-RW drives that have worked very well never a problem
but I wanted a drive that would Record on DVD+RW/+R and DVD-RW/R media and standard CD-R/RW discs.

So I started looking at the sony DRU-510A heard alot of good about it and seemed like a nice drive so I bought one. I used it for 2 weeks very happy with this sony. Now it's been two months and haven't looked back once.

I really like this sony drive (DRU-510A) nicer that I expected. :)
Didn't pay that much either sony rebate $30. officedepot rebate $30.
instant rebate $10. but this was just before christmas.

Wish now I had gotten one for my other system to. :(

Make sure you get the firmware update if you get Sony DRU-5xx drives coz they had a small prob with recognising or writing on one of the dvd formats.

hmmm people are saying good things about the plextor not suprising I have a plexwriter 12/10/32S thats burnt alot of cds unfortunatly its died :( and might as well buy a dvd writer where is the cheapest you guys found the plexwritor (has to be uk though) cheers

indyjones said:
hmmm people are saying good things about the plextor not suprising I have a plexwriter 12/10/32S thats burnt alot of cds unfortunatly its died :( and might as well buy a dvd writer where is the cheapest you guys found the plexwritor (has to be uk though) cheers

My first Plextor drive was the PlexWriter 40/12/40A and I loved it. Having had the prior experience with Plextor made me willing to pay a bit more.

I paid $234.99 USD for my PX-708A and that was pretty much right when it came out. That is w/o tax or shipping, etc. Total price paid was $249 USD. Sorry, can't give you any leads on UK sites. I got it from New Egg. I made the purchase on the 6th of last October.

I think the Plextor is still the only drive to attempt to burn at 8x on 4x DVD+R media when it can.

/rotjong

"Most" 8x drives will attempt to burn on 4x media. The plex is just more condusive to it...

Members online

No members online now.

Latest profile posts

Also Hi EP and people. I found this place again while looking through a oooollllllldddd backup. I have filled over 10TB and was looking at my collection of antiques. Any bids on the 500Mhz Win 95 fix?
Any of the SP crew still out there?
Xie wrote on Electronic Punk's profile.
Impressed you have kept this alive this long EP! So many sites have come and gone. :(

Just did some crude math and I apparently joined almost 18yrs ago, how is that possible???
hello peeps... is been some time since i last came here.
Electronic Punk wrote on Sazar's profile.
Rest in peace my friend, been trying to find you and finally did in the worst way imaginable.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
naeemsafi
Back