Duron 1.3 or Tbird 1.4???

Kuja

OSNN Addict
Ok, I got a GA-7ZM, and unfortunatly cant take an XP cpu....hmm.
Now, I got a choice between a Duron 1.3, or a Tbird 1.4 to stick into my mobo, and I don't know which one is faster....
Any help guys? Maybe a comparison chart between, or a benchmark chart between the 2?

thx in advance....

the T-Bird will be faster

cool.gif

I would go with the Thunder Bird- is faster, and sounds way cooler then Duron :)

1.3ghz duron is equal to a 1ghz t-bird... so the 1.4 t-bird will be a lot faster. make sure you get one with the 200mhz bus... the 266mhz bus ones won't work in your board.

i have the exact same processor... 1.4ghz t-bird 200mhz bus. i did some research the other day and these old t-birds put out more heat than all but the newest athlon xp's. check out this graph:

http://www.tomshardware.com/cpu/02q4/021001/images/image079.gif
(thoroughbred (t-bred) A and B are athlon xp's and palomino is duron.)

so make sure you have a decent cooling setup first.

yeah no question about it. the duron is a rubbish prcessor with a small cache. it's designed to be cheap and cheerful, not like the tbird, which when it came out, was designed to rip apart the opposition p3/4. get the tbird. they do get hot though, as taurus mentions.

Originally posted by taurus
1.3ghz duron is equal to a 1ghz t-bird... so the 1.4 t-bird will be a lot faster. make sure you get one with the 200mhz bus... the 266mhz bus ones won't work in your board.

i have the exact same processor... 1.4ghz t-bird 200mhz bus. i did some research the other day and these old t-birds put out more heat than all but the newest athlon xp's. check out this graph:

http://www.tomshardware.com/cpu/02q4/021001/images/image079.gif
(thoroughbred (t-bred) A and B are athlon xp's and palomino is duron.)

so make sure you have a decent cooling setup first.

Ah, crap.... should have read that before... now i got a 1.4 tbird running at 1.21.... hmm. ill email gygabite, see if they can release a bios update to support it....... strange that it supports all other 133/266 FSB cpu's except for this one...... hmm oh well.

you sure it supports 266mhz bus processors? it's a kt133 chipset, just like mine... kt133 only supports the 200's. kt133A supports 266.

if you see somewhere where gigabyte says it "supports" the 266's, that probably doesn't mean they'll run at the right speed... they'll just run.

it doesnt support it.... but it runs it.... :S oh well...... the f'in mobo supports up to 133mhz FSB, but it supports no CPU WITH 133 FSB....... how stupid is that..... urg......

umm... the Duron 1.3 is actually better than the T-Birds...

the Duron is based on the Morgan architecture which is a crippled Athlon XP architecture (less L2).

The duron has the superior tech just less L2. I'd go for the Duron.

the the smaller L2 will give a Big hit on performance... while the architecture deal doesn't really help with that... just makes it run cooler.

Originally posted by Kuja
Ah, crap.... should have read that before... now i got a 1.4 tbird running at 1.21.... hmm. ill email gygabite, see if they can release a bios update to support it....... strange that it supports all other 133/266 FSB cpu's except for this one...... hmm oh well.

I had the same problem with a different board (KT7a + 1.4 Thunerbird @ 266FSB). Even with all the BIOS updates it didn't make any difference to the speed, then one day I changed the memory to all PC133 rather than a mixture of PC133 and PC100 and it started working @ 1.4.

Weird.

not really wierd. your memory controller was running syncronous with your fsb, like most motherboards, at 133mhz. so pc100 memory kept it from running. you probably had an option in your bios to select memory speed and could select "CPUCLK-PCICLK" (133-33) so you'd get pc100 memory speed.

Members online

No members online now.

Latest profile posts

Also Hi EP and people. I found this place again while looking through a oooollllllldddd backup. I have filled over 10TB and was looking at my collection of antiques. Any bids on the 500Mhz Win 95 fix?
Any of the SP crew still out there?
Xie wrote on Electronic Punk's profile.
Impressed you have kept this alive this long EP! So many sites have come and gone. :(

Just did some crude math and I apparently joined almost 18yrs ago, how is that possible???
hello peeps... is been some time since i last came here.
Electronic Punk wrote on Sazar's profile.
Rest in peace my friend, been trying to find you and finally did in the worst way imaginable.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
naeemsafi
Back