Dunno if this post belongs here but here goes...

G

Gouk

How can I transfer large amounts of data between two PC's?

What do I need?

I already have 2 network cards, 1 in each. Is there anything else required?

yes , wires .. :D .. and i wish u good luck = the most important ..

Like a cable? :p

Sharing the appropriate folders on each comp might be an idea too, assuming the comps can see each other when you've connected them. I beleive there's a sticky/read-me in the networking forum for home networks :)

just get a direct connection cable. you plug it in to the network cards and you can transfer away.

LOL... 'nuff ppl mentioned cables... it has to be a cross-over cable to connect directly from one NIC to another. If you dunno what that is, get one from Maplins or something

i think mine is a RJ45 Cat cable

is this the right one?

currently I use it to connect it from the network card to the cable modem.

Right type of cable... whether it's been made into a crossover cable has to be determined by looking at the 'pin-out' (the arrangement of wires from one end of the cable to the other).

T568B_scheme_opt.jpg

If the LED:s on the cards light up, the cable is right. If they don't it's wrong.

My cable came with a Cross-over adapter. Think that will work?

Thing is I wanna find out theoretically coz its my friends PC that I will be hooking up and I need to collect it from this house first and no point in collecting it only to find it wont work.

*Update*

Cross-over network adapter
-----------------------------------

Allows you to connect 2 PC's with standard RJ45 cable
Has RJ45 plug to fit into standard 10/100 network card
Internally crosses polarity over
Socket at other end accepts RJ45 Cable

Hehe that should work then i suppose.

That should do the trick... as long as the cable isn't fautly. Another alternative is to pull yours or your buddies hard drive and slave it in to the other machine and copy over whatever it is you want to transfer that way.

Originally posted by Lonman
That should do the trick... as long as the cable isn't fautly. Another alternative is to pull yours or your buddies hard drive and slave it in to the other machine and copy over whatever it is you want to transfer that way.

Well thats exactly what I wanted to do, slave his HDD to my PC but he didnt want to do that coz his machine is one of those expensive Dell's and he dont want me fingering it and poking it :D :eek: so this is what I came up with.

Also the files are like 28Gb so using CDRs would not be wise :(

Members online

No members online now.

Latest profile posts

Also Hi EP and people. I found this place again while looking through a oooollllllldddd backup. I have filled over 10TB and was looking at my collection of antiques. Any bids on the 500Mhz Win 95 fix?
Any of the SP crew still out there?
Xie wrote on Electronic Punk's profile.
Impressed you have kept this alive this long EP! So many sites have come and gone. :(

Just did some crude math and I apparently joined almost 18yrs ago, how is that possible???
hello peeps... is been some time since i last came here.
Electronic Punk wrote on Sazar's profile.
Rest in peace my friend, been trying to find you and finally did in the worst way imaginable.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
naeemsafi
Back