Dumb newbie HL question

Mainframeguy

Debiant by way of Ubuntu
Part;y because of stuff I read here and generally from net awareness and also because I finally decided I deserved it and also becaue I gotta exercise my AMD 2800 somehow....

I eventually bought HL.... - the "4CD edition with all the whotsits and CS etc etc"...

OK OK - I only got as far as "Unforseen ciscumstances" this weekend... but that's not the point....

I just decided I wanted to try the online side - maybe spectate or chat - and all I get is my version is out of date (eventually comes up with windoze window saying I am on V1.1.0.8).

Now I THINK I know the reaosn, I am using a router... what want to know is how I fix this to work.

I know you guys will have the answer and I appologise for being dumb and promise to be more of a contributor in the future - somehow or other....

(Sorry my morale is low having not got to the office complex or blaster pit or anything else yet!)

I think HL is on version 1.1.1.0 if you're using cs1.5.

although correct does not resolve!

TY Ming - you were faster than google - and I have to do the Simpson GIF thang and write out "I must google before I ask dumb questions on NTFS" q00 times!

Then again - I install the Sierra whotsit autoupdater thingie - for 1.1.1.0 and it still comes out the other end telling me my version is out of date.... it is late and I am getting confused, is my router a problem? Surely not I think now....

Well, I'd say it's the settings in your router/firewall coz I can't check for updates when I'm connecting through a router.
It works fine when I'm using a standalone modem.

OK - TY Ming, being late I'll hang on to see if anyone confirms/adds to your input - because I cannot quite see the reasoning... and BTW being behind a router I am not using any firewall (unless anyone tells me otherwise, I feel quite secure this way)

Mainframe

If you continue to have trouble with an autoupdate do a search of gaming sites for a downloadable copy of the update. You can usually find them for most games and updates. Sometimes the auto update doesn't work right (ISP, router, firewall, phase of the moon, etc.) so they provide the file the old fashion way also.

I agree with Leejend on the update files. Though I'm not too sure which sites have updates for HL itself as I only play the CS mod.
You can download Steam if you want, it's the newest version of HL and mods. However, I rarely play on Steam because I find it very buggy.

incase anyone is interested

I went here and got the upgrades (first to 1109 then to 1110)...

now I think I just need a server addie to see if it works....

and also to work out what the diff is with CS etc etc - and maybe run the other three CDs through my machine too?

Servers - go to www.cs.jolt.co.uk -> some CS servers in the UK.

Personally, I like the graphics and gameplay on CS over HL and the other mods. It's not the best, but I find it much better than the other mods.

Members online

No members online now.

Latest profile posts

Also Hi EP and people. I found this place again while looking through a oooollllllldddd backup. I have filled over 10TB and was looking at my collection of antiques. Any bids on the 500Mhz Win 95 fix?
Any of the SP crew still out there?
Xie wrote on Electronic Punk's profile.
Impressed you have kept this alive this long EP! So many sites have come and gone. :(

Just did some crude math and I apparently joined almost 18yrs ago, how is that possible???
hello peeps... is been some time since i last came here.
Electronic Punk wrote on Sazar's profile.
Rest in peace my friend, been trying to find you and finally did in the worst way imaginable.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
AndersonLo
Back