DUKE DEMO in Manhattan

S

seeme

ive just played the new duke, and as a die hard fan of this title i need to ask

Q) I was a huge fan of the old duke, running around a 3d environment in duke 3d and playing multiplayer games. Is the new duke in manhattan game going to be JUST a platform game?

or will it be a full 3d multiplayer game.

i guess i should have asked this question in a gaming forum on another web page guys?????

It's just platform (in 3D, kind of) and there is no multiplayer.

Just downloaded it today and will try it out at home tonight.

Was there anything better than kicking the dead monsters head through the goal post in the original!!

I think this gmae is something they had to licence to keep the development of DN4 going ;)

I'm not personnely a great fan of Duke Nukem, but I must admit this is quite the free time filler.

Although its pretty annoying when you jump from one ledge to another and manage to land on a pigcops head, only to discover a few seconds later you automatically get thrown off his head over the ledge of the platform. :D

Uh oh ... it won't install on my box. Running XP Pro BTW ... I get some sort of .msi error :(

Anybody have any idea what's going on??

Perhaps you have a bad download, maybe you could try the compatiblity wizard who-jit. Ill look through the help file and report back with any ideas.

EDIT - Heres list of possible problems and solutions taken from the support site:-

0. This may require manual installation of Windows installer 2.0

1. Make sure Idriver.exe is not running (Use Ctrl-Alt-Del to view Task Manager, and look for IDriver.exe under "Processes". If it is running, end that Process.

2. Make sure Installing location/destination from/to is not unwritable/ unreadable, and that there is enough disk space etc.

3. Conflicting applications running/system files locked - solution close apps before running install

4. Make sure SP 2 installed (Win 2000), and if still fails, reinstall Service Pack 2. (or later if it exists)

5. run the .msi file, instead of setup.exe

6. Run 'instmsiw.exe' as mentioned above in order to correct dodgy WI install

7. NTFS partition installed with the short file name creation disabled?
In registry:
(HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SYSTEM\CurrentControlSet\Contr
ol\FileSystem\NtfsDisable8
dot3NameCreation)

8. Go to Control Panel->Administrative Tools->Services and stop the windows installer service before installing instmsiw.exe

9. Make sure that the system C:\winnt or C:\windows or C:\windows\installer directory (or equivalent) is not using NTFS encryption. Right click the folder name and choose properties. At the bottom of the General Tab is the "Advanced" button. Click it, make sure that "Encrypt contents to secure data" is unchecked.

10. Make sure in the registry
HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SYSTEM\CurrentControlSet\Servic
es\MSIServer\ImagePath
reads similar to

C:\WINNT\System32\MsiExec.exe /V

The difference being the possible location of the system "C:\windows" instead of "C:\winnt" for example

** In my case this one was the problem **

Make sure that the hidden directory C:\winnt\Installer is not encrypted and that the security settings on it allow for the current system user to have full control. (If administrator, make sure it hasn't inadvertantly locked you out as well). To do so, right click on the C:\winnt\installer folder (You may have to turn on view hidden files in Tools->Folder options in explorer.. Look under the view tab.) Go to the security tab and make sure the user in question has full access to this folder. (Note is it possible that the Administrator account could lock this folder, this would require the action of unlocking it through the tab before it can be used).

To be sure you can
Start->Run "cmd" to bring to the command prompt.

Type:

--
C:\winnt\system32\cacls "C:\winnt\installer" /T /E /G Everyone:F
cd\
C:\winnt\system32\cacls "C:" /E /G Everyone:F
---

You may need to replace "C:\winnt" with the location of your os files. ie "C:\windows" etc.

12. Reinstall Service Pack 2. It can be obtained from

13. Try another application that uses Windows Installer 2. Microsoft Office XP, DirectX8 SDK, etc and any installer developed with Installshield 7.0 or higher)

1. [/list=1]

Originally posted by TomR
I'm not personnely a great fan of Duke Nukem, but I must admit this is quite the free time filler.

Although its pretty annoying when you jump from one ledge to another and manage to land on a pigcops head, only to discover a few seconds later you automatically get thrown off his head over the ledge of the platform. :D

haha ya i know, annoying, oh well, a pretty cool game... i thought it was gonna be a FPS though, oh well, it's just a future version of the original duke nukem, a side scroller

Well that wasn't even worth the time it took to download!

Can you same LAME!!!

Not even a FPS game!?!?

TGF demos!

Members online

No members online now.

Latest profile posts

Also Hi EP and people. I found this place again while looking through a oooollllllldddd backup. I have filled over 10TB and was looking at my collection of antiques. Any bids on the 500Mhz Win 95 fix?
Any of the SP crew still out there?
Xie wrote on Electronic Punk's profile.
Impressed you have kept this alive this long EP! So many sites have come and gone. :(

Just did some crude math and I apparently joined almost 18yrs ago, how is that possible???
hello peeps... is been some time since i last came here.
Electronic Punk wrote on Sazar's profile.
Rest in peace my friend, been trying to find you and finally did in the worst way imaginable.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
naeemsafi
Back