Dual Raptor 74GB 16mb Cache

ShepsCrook

Red Sox Fan!
Well, I've finally decided to go with 10k rpm Raptors for my main machine.
I'll be setting them as RAID 0 to boost the speed even more. Maybe I'll write a review on these drives for everyone.

I got them from Newegg.com for $169.99 with free shipping, and then a $30 MIR to make them $139 each.

These are the new model with 16mb cache. Although, I wish they'd have SATA2 models of these drives.

I have the Raptor X version and I've read that these drives blow SATA 2 drives away. I don't think you will see any difference.

I hope I get the chance to build a real sweet rig again someday, this machine should really haul!

What will your CPU be?

I'm keeping the Opteron 175 that I have. It's a great processor. My rig overall is a good setup, something that will last me until DX10 cards come out. The processor can take anything I throw at it, the ram is enough, the video card is enough for what I need, and finally the Drives are where they should be at... Since I was using a 120GB Seagate SATA 7200:7 drive for years.

No need for SATA2 with those babies.

Heeter

shepscrook, what do you do with your machine work or play?

well i just read up on these drives, i am now very interested, wouldn't mind my pc starting up in 4 secs.

Last edited:
I work and play on these. Well, the work is just designing my sites and graphics. The play is BF2, HL2 and whatnot.

do you notice a large difference in how xp starts up or games or anything? whats the noticable difference.

XP starts up MUCH faster now. I am installing BF2 at the moment. I'll let everyone know how fast maps load.

well whats much faster give us actual times, for instance right now because of all the crap i have i think my xp starts up in maybe a minute.

I never had the dual obviously, and I think the ones I had were the 8mb cache, but these drives are AMAZINGLY faster than any other desktop drive out there. I believe I did a XP install with an AMD 3500+ in about 12 minutes :eek:

I'll give you some start up speeds soon. I've busy running all over the place.

Members online

No members online now.

Latest profile posts

Also Hi EP and people. I found this place again while looking through a oooollllllldddd backup. I have filled over 10TB and was looking at my collection of antiques. Any bids on the 500Mhz Win 95 fix?
Any of the SP crew still out there?
Xie wrote on Electronic Punk's profile.
Impressed you have kept this alive this long EP! So many sites have come and gone. :(

Just did some crude math and I apparently joined almost 18yrs ago, how is that possible???
hello peeps... is been some time since i last came here.
Electronic Punk wrote on Sazar's profile.
Rest in peace my friend, been trying to find you and finally did in the worst way imaginable.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
naeemsafi
Back