• This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn more.

Dual Raptor 74GB 16mb Cache

Well, I've finally decided to go with 10k rpm Raptors for my main machine.
I'll be setting them as RAID 0 to boost the speed even more. Maybe I'll write a review on these drives for everyone.

I got them from Newegg.com for $169.99 with free shipping, and then a $30 MIR to make them $139 each.

These are the new model with 16mb cache. Although, I wish they'd have SATA2 models of these drives.

madmatt

Bow Down to the King
Political User
I have the Raptor X version and I've read that these drives blow SATA 2 drives away. I don't think you will see any difference.

kcnychief

█▄█ ▀█▄ █
Political User
I hope I get the chance to build a real sweet rig again someday, this machine should really haul!

What will your CPU be?

I'm keeping the Opteron 175 that I have. It's a great processor. My rig overall is a good setup, something that will last me until DX10 cards come out. The processor can take anything I throw at it, the ram is enough, the video card is enough for what I need, and finally the Drives are where they should be at... Since I was using a 120GB Seagate SATA 7200:7 drive for years.

lancer

There is no answer!
Political User
shepscrook, what do you do with your machine work or play?

well i just read up on these drives, i am now very interested, wouldn't mind my pc starting up in 4 secs.

Last edited:

lancer

There is no answer!
Political User
do you notice a large difference in how xp starts up or games or anything? whats the noticable difference.

lancer

There is no answer!
Political User
well whats much faster give us actual times, for instance right now because of all the crap i have i think my xp starts up in maybe a minute.

kcnychief

█▄█ ▀█▄ █
Political User
I never had the dual obviously, and I think the ones I had were the 8mb cache, but these drives are AMAZINGLY faster than any other desktop drive out there. I believe I did a XP install with an AMD 3500+ in about 12 minutes :eek:

Members online

No members online now.

Latest posts

Latest profile posts

Hello, is there anybody in there? Just nod if you can hear me ...
Xie
What a long strange trip it's been. =)

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Sierge