Dual motherboards

D

djpapakas

I would like to buy a dual motherboard and I would like to ask you if two processors are necessary or I can use the motherboard with only one for the moment. The price is very low and I want to buy it if I can use it with only one processor. Does anyone know?

I would like to buy a dual motherboard and I would like to ask you if two processors are necessary or I can use the motherboard with only one for the moment. The price is very low and I want to buy it if I can use it with only one processor. Does anyone know?

Ok well most mobo's have the slogan 'Dual Processor Capable' or something along those lines.

I'm pretty sure you can run 1 processor, but just check before you buy it. I am looking at dual processors at the mo because a pc with 2 processors would be rather meaty and can kill people on benchmarks :D :p

Adam:D

You can find at this moment

Asus A7M266-D
-2 slot PCI 64
- can be installed performant SCSI controllers
- tested with 2x1800+

Price : 512 $

You do know having two processors will not make everything run twice as fast right? It only takes some of the burden off the first one by running things thru second one if first gets overloaded. So basically if you don’t bog down with 1 processor (go to 100% load) then a second processor (and mobo in this case) wouldn’t help much.

That's why it's usually only servers with dual processors (because theres so many things running / people asking for data)

Thanks, I payed a little more than I should have but it was all pre-built and had all this as default setup (where else can you find 1024MB of ram in a default pre-build comp lol).

(payed 2999 for it and it came with everything including monitor). dont let anyone ever tell you Gateway makes bad computers :) I havn't had a single problem with it yet.

Never say Never, I got a old P1 Gateway 2000 PC sitting in my cuboard, piece of ****, won't let u install windows even with a new IDE cables, new CD-Rom, format and different CD's

Lol, but its ok it won't happen to u, blimey that ram must take up all the slots, although my Mobo can take 3GB ram :p

Originally posted by Shawn319
You do know having two processors will not make everything run twice as fast right? It only takes some of the burden off the first one by running things thru second one if first gets overloaded. So basically if you don’t bog down with 1 processor (go to 100% load) then a second processor (and mobo in this case) wouldn’t help much.

That's why it's usually only servers with dual processors (because theres so many things running / people asking for data)

right, right. if you are not going to run software that is written for a multiprocessor environment, (ex - photoshop, sql, exchange, etc........) then having a dual processor machine is a waste of money the first processor will still do all the work.
benchmarks....pppfffft. who cares how much horsepower you make on the dyno if you cant apply it to the track....

Originally posted by skazzyuk
Never say Never, I got a old P1 Gateway 2000 PC sitting in my cuboard, piece of ****, won't let u install windows even with a new IDE cables, new CD-Rom, format and different CD's

Lol, but its ok it won't happen to u, blimey that ram must take up all the slots, although my Mobo can take 3GB ram :p

Well of course old PC's wont work very well =P i mean new gateway's hehe.

Originally posted by spikemic

right, right. if you are not going to run software that is written for a multiprocessor environment, (ex - photoshop, sql, exchange, etc........) then having a dual processor machine is a waste of money the first processor will still do all the work.
benchmarks....pppfffft. who cares how much horsepower you make on the dyno if you cant apply it to the track....
Windows xp professional will span SOME of the processes over the two. But it also helps to have the program written for two processors, but not necessary.

Originally posted by ajsx15
believe me gateway makes horible computers, the system i am on now is celeron 1.2 ghz, the video sucks ass now and the video crashes everytime i play games now. they use cheap crappy componities. if you want to upgrade you cant, everything in the bios is locked, all the jumpers are taken off the motherboard, they even took off the agp slot off mine, you can see where its supposed to be and the outline and pins are still there, the slot is gone. we have 2 gateways in my house, nothing but trouble with them, my video card on the motherboard(built on the board) needs to be replaced so i need a whole new mobo, i still have a warrentee and they wont cover it, they want me to pay $179.95 for a new one. there rip offs, never buy from them.

Thats an old computer, get a newer one =P i'm extremly happy with mine (and it has the AGP slot, even a AGP lock on it so the 3D card cant slip out easily). my bios is fine and games look awesome :)

Well i had an packard bell...2 years old...pb mobo, amd k6-2 450 mhz, no agp, vid on board, sound onboard, 3 pci slots....configuration kinda sux, but the matter is that in fact it's very upgradeble, first i upgraded to windows xp pro...with no problems at all, and added some 256 mb xtra ram, okay that aint very special, after that a new hdd, 40 gig WDigital, needed to upgrade the bios, i send an email to packard bell in the netherlands and the next day i had the correct bios upgrade, good service:D, next, i had a go on overclocking the cpu...got up even to 550 mhz by changing the jumpers on the board...lol...but still to slow, i went to the shop to buy a good cooler, but they advised me to buy a new mobo...so i looked my sweet parents in the eye and they said okay...so i bought a micro ATX mobo from aopen, which has an agp port three pci ports, on board lan, two fan connectors, onboard dual usb ports, and an connector for front usb, onboard sound which is quite good actually, also bought a celeron 1.3ghz, which is running superb at 1.48ghz...so...hailz to packard bell!!! :p

Conclusion..old packard bells are very good! still using same case, stockfan, 145 watt supply, same 17"screen, same mouse and same keyboard....never had a problem with it...

dude its not that old. i just got it in january, january 20 to be exact.. the other gateway is a few years old and is a p3 450mhz, nothing but problems since they day we got it. if i had the money to put out when i needed a new computer i would of built my own. but i didnt have the cash so i have to finance one and get a crapway. eventually you will run into problems. with the peice of crap celeron system, i cant even run any games, the games can be on the lowest graphic settings and still will crash, i get errors for the video everyday, reformatted 16 times(kept count) times since january 27, i ordered it january 20, i got it january 25, by the second day i had it, i had unmountable boot volume error, i couldnt boot at all, they told me to reformat, i hear there is a bug fix for that now but who knows. since then i have had numerous errors with everything. formatted 16 times. thats riduculous. screw crapway

though I am a fan of Dell computers I must say that shawn is right.. gateway makes much better pc's than say Compaq which you can't upgrade much... they have these weird metal components that are meant to make it hard for you to do anything.. or give the impression of the same...

take out metal sliders and nothing goes wrong with the bloody system BUT its a beeatch to take out..

I like dells coz you can add stuff to em and they come in cool black colors... gateway I personally like coz of the whole cow thing and their new systems look nice/speakers look kewl...

:)

2999 ? I duno if I would pay that though...

I havnt had to format yet. as i said before, i'm extremly happy with my gateway 700XL, although i could have gotten a 2.53GHz processor at no extra cost if i would have waited a month. but oh well, its somewhat upgradable (i can put more ram in later if i want, bigger hard drives, room for expantion with PCI slots, ect...)

System boots up fast, games run great, great system overall. I guess i got lucky but i would definitly buy from them again (when 3ghz comes out hehe).

in stead of reformatting try to flash ure bios or something....maybe that'll help...

Members online

No members online now.

Latest profile posts

Also Hi EP and people. I found this place again while looking through a oooollllllldddd backup. I have filled over 10TB and was looking at my collection of antiques. Any bids on the 500Mhz Win 95 fix?
Any of the SP crew still out there?
Xie wrote on Electronic Punk's profile.
Impressed you have kept this alive this long EP! So many sites have come and gone. :(

Just did some crude math and I apparently joined almost 18yrs ago, how is that possible???
hello peeps... is been some time since i last came here.
Electronic Punk wrote on Sazar's profile.
Rest in peace my friend, been trying to find you and finally did in the worst way imaginable.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
AndersonLo
Back