Dual Monitor setup help

belveder

OSNN Senior Addict
I've just hooked up my first dual monitor setup (both LCD's) and worked most of it out, not that there is much to work out.
redface.gif

But I am wondering, is it possible to have my applications open in the 2nd monitor and have a taskbar on it or a folder on the desktop for the applications shortcuts or something along those lines, so that I don't have to minimize whatever I am doing on monitor one (say if I am playing a game).

are you running extended desktop? it sounds to me like that is what you want.... But you'd need to specify your requirement more clearly for me to be sure....

If you don't know what extended desktop is post back and I'll describe it, but I don't want to patronize you :p

UltraMon is a great utility to have. Although I only installed the bare minimum (plus the wallpaper utility). Even though the ~$40.00 USD price tag is a bit high for such a utility it is a must have.

UltraMon is a great utility to have. Although I only installed the bare minimum (plus the wallpaper utility). Even though the ~$40.00 USD price tag is a bit high for such a utility it is a must have.
agree, its great with multi montior setup :)

I appreciate your thoughtfullness mainframeguy, no I'm not sure what extended desktop is.

What I want to do is either have the taskbar on both monitors so that when if I have a program showing in the second monitor and minimize it, then it would go to the taskbar on the 2nd monitor and not back to the 1st monitor where I won't be able to access it if I am doing something else. And I want to be able to have icons or something on the second monitor so that I can load certain programs on that monitor while I am busy on the 1st one.

I'm not sure If I am asking to much.

Thanks for the other suggestions, will check UltraMon out

I appreciate your thoughtfullness mainframeguy, no I'm not sure what extended desktop is.

What I want to do is either have the taskbar on both monitors so that when if I have a program showing in the second monitor and minimize it, then it would go to the taskbar on the 2nd monitor and not back to the 1st monitor where I won't be able to access it if I am doing something else. And I want to be able to have icons or something on the second monitor so that I can load certain programs on that monitor while I am busy on the 1st one.

I'm not sure If I am asking to much.

Thanks for the other suggestions, will check UltraMon out

Two taskbars, no, at least in not in windows, from what i have seen. You can unlock your taskbar and move it to the second window like i do, that works. You can also make a folder somewhere, say My Documents, and move all your fav shortcuts to it. Then right click on your taskbar, go to toolbars, then new toolbar, and go select that folder to view and you can drag that off your taskbar and make a new bar just for apps and make it verticle or on top of your second monitor. This is not a taskbar, but is shortcuts, and keeps your taskbar clean. If you have Nvidia, your drivers include Nview tools which need to be enabled in control panels. May have to click classic view to see them. This has an applications tab that will let you choose an application executable and set up options for it such as what window to default open in. Should be all that you are looking for. If you do not have Nvidia, i imagine ATI has similar, but i dont know that for sure. Good luck.

Thanks for that, pretty well covered it all, should be able to work it out from that. I have an NVidia card

IMHO opinion Ultramon is overpiced for that it does....

and should you (like me) use the powertools Virtual Desktop thinger it is rendered pretty much useless (you have to use all kinds of workarounds to make it play ball with MSVDM)....

I stil think you can do pretty much what you want without it - but since you get a trial period then play and make your own call...

this should tell you what extended dektop is - but in laymans terms you can have normal desktop spread large on both "heads" (my preference) or two separate desks on each "head" with associated mouse swap etc trickery.... hope that helps enough....

VDM has absolutley nothing to do with anything that ultramon does. Not even if you try and make a link :)

ultramon does things like, letting you drag maximised windows across screens, puts a taskbar on the second screen, allows per-screen wallpaper, allows per-screen screensavers and so on.

All VDM does is give you multiple windows extended desktops.

Ultramon is worth every penny.

Thanks again, I am trying UltraMon and it seems to do everything I want.

we often disagree Lord - and I know what you mean - just the wallpapering for VDM is.... how to put it... delicately? maybe badly? coded as a result of which Ultramon screws it up.... I use both and so separate wallpapers helps me with VDM and so far as I am concerned Ultramin screws this aspect up and that made it a "deal breaker" for my useage.

The coder of Ultramon knows the issues - only has a complex workaround - and agrees with me this is an issue.

So :p

(and so far as I am concerned we are/were both right!)

Last edited:

Members online

No members online now.

Latest profile posts

Also Hi EP and people. I found this place again while looking through a oooollllllldddd backup. I have filled over 10TB and was looking at my collection of antiques. Any bids on the 500Mhz Win 95 fix?
Any of the SP crew still out there?
Xie wrote on Electronic Punk's profile.
Impressed you have kept this alive this long EP! So many sites have come and gone. :(

Just did some crude math and I apparently joined almost 18yrs ago, how is that possible???
hello peeps... is been some time since i last came here.
Electronic Punk wrote on Sazar's profile.
Rest in peace my friend, been trying to find you and finally did in the worst way imaginable.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
naeemsafi
Back