Dual Booting w/ NTFS on Boot Partition

J

jcs83md

Anyone know a web page with information on adding a Windows 98 partition to an existing NTFS boot partition.

I think you will have to go to FAT32 for this to work. It cannot be done in NTFS. Partition magic will do it.
Doug Knox.

Well like Hipster said, Win98 is not compatible with NTFS. So I suggest you split your NTFS partition into two, and convert the second partition for win98 for FAT32.

Converted from NTFS to FAT32... Installed Windows 98, repaired the boot sector.. Put BOOTSECT.DOS back on.. and when I select Windows 98 at the Boot Loader.. the screen just flashes and the Boot Loader is back, as if nothing happened.

Maybe if you checked around on Doug Knox's site you might find an answer somewhere. Let us now what happens.

Boot into NT, from there edit the boot.ini file... you need to have a small understanding of ARC paths to do this... you will see at least two lines that look like a bunch of gibberish... one of these has two point to the win98 partition, and have the corresponding identifier so you know which one you're choosing... check M$ knowledgebase for info on editing the ARC path... when you copied the bootsect.dos back on, it is the old config and not the new one... when you created the partition for 98, did you place it before the NT partition or after? If you placed it after the NT partition you shouldn't have recieved the error, if you placed it before NT - well, you still need to edit the boot.ini file..

Problem was solved. Pointed the Windows 98 Boot Option straight to the BOOTSECT.DOS and it now works..

So did you use that doug knox guide to do it. Wondering because I have never used it. :confused:

boot partion

dear sir
you cannot create a boot partion with ntfs with windows 98 as that is only fat 32 not ntfs but if you do it the other way around you can do it but you must keep the partion fat 32 with windows Xp which you can do then it will work I had the same problem my windows Xp insall automaticaly changed my disk to ntfs so be carefull if you dont change to fat32 you will have to reformat your hard disk again and start again.

Members online

No members online now.

Latest profile posts

Also Hi EP and people. I found this place again while looking through a oooollllllldddd backup. I have filled over 10TB and was looking at my collection of antiques. Any bids on the 500Mhz Win 95 fix?
Any of the SP crew still out there?
Xie wrote on Electronic Punk's profile.
Impressed you have kept this alive this long EP! So many sites have come and gone. :(

Just did some crude math and I apparently joined almost 18yrs ago, how is that possible???
hello peeps... is been some time since i last came here.
Electronic Punk wrote on Sazar's profile.
Rest in peace my friend, been trying to find you and finally did in the worst way imaginable.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
naeemsafi
Back