Dual Booting w/ NTFS on Boot Partition

J

jcs83md

Anyone know a web page with information on adding a Windows 98 partition to an existing NTFS boot partition.

Grandmaster

Electronica Addict
Political User
Well like Hipster said, Win98 is not compatible with NTFS. So I suggest you split your NTFS partition into two, and convert the second partition for win98 for FAT32.

J

jcs83md

Converted from NTFS to FAT32... Installed Windows 98, repaired the boot sector.. Put BOOTSECT.DOS back on.. and when I select Windows 98 at the Boot Loader.. the screen just flashes and the Boot Loader is back, as if nothing happened.

D

debonairone

Boot into NT, from there edit the boot.ini file... you need to have a small understanding of ARC paths to do this... you will see at least two lines that look like a bunch of gibberish... one of these has two point to the win98 partition, and have the corresponding identifier so you know which one you're choosing... check M$ knowledgebase for info on editing the ARC path... when you copied the bootsect.dos back on, it is the old config and not the new one... when you created the partition for 98, did you place it before the NT partition or after? If you placed it after the NT partition you shouldn't have recieved the error, if you placed it before NT - well, you still need to edit the boot.ini file..

J

jcs83md

Problem was solved. Pointed the Windows 98 Boot Option straight to the BOOTSECT.DOS and it now works..

L

lance

boot partion

dear sir
you cannot create a boot partion with ntfs with windows 98 as that is only fat 32 not ntfs but if you do it the other way around you can do it but you must keep the partion fat 32 with windows Xp which you can do then it will work I had the same problem my windows Xp insall automaticaly changed my disk to ntfs so be carefull if you dont change to fat32 you will have to reformat your hard disk again and start again.

Members online

No members online now.

Latest posts

Latest profile posts

Perris Calderon wrote on Electronic Punk's profile.
Ep, glad to see you come back and tidy up...did want to ask a one day favor, I want to enhance my resume , was hoping you could make me administrator for a day, if so, take me right off since I won't be here to do anything, and don't know the slightest about the board, but it would be nice putting "served administrator osnn", if can do, THANKS

Been running around Quora lately, luv it there https://tinyurl.com/ycpxl
Electronic Punk wrote on Perris Calderon's profile.
All good still mate?
Hello, is there anybody in there? Just nod if you can hear me ...
Xie
What a long strange trip it's been. =)

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
arrangel