Dual Booting my current system

Guybrush

Village Idiot
I am having a few problems running a few games on my Windows XP system and I thionk the only way around this to keep all the family happy is to dual boot XP with Win98se.

The problem is I need some advice on the best way to go about this.
1. Do I need to format my NTFS harddrive first, install win98 and all the games that won't run and then install WinXP or do I install XP and during setup can I tell WinXP to split my 80G HDD to split it 70/30%?

2. How do I format my HDD with XP?

3. Can one partition be FAT 32 AND THE OTHER NTFS?

Questions, Questions and more questions. Sorry about all this but you guys will know or will know a man who can!

1. The first step is to set up your partitions using FDISK. install Win98SE on C: then install XP on D: Set it up as you like 30/70, 40/60, 50/50.. since 80GB is a huge drive 30/70 should be fine.. depends on how much space you think you'll need...

2. When you install XP you will have the option of using NTFS or another format.

3. You need to use FAT16 or FAT32 for Win98SE but you can use FATxx or NTFS for XP. Keep in mind that Win98SE cannot read an NTFS partition.

Thank you RobbieSan for your prompt reply. If I may trouble you one more time. How do I format with Xp or how do I access fdisk from XP.

SORRY BUT YOU ARE REPLYING TO A COMPUTER DORK!!;)

np dude.. we've all been there..

this could be a bit tricky since you have already installed XP though.. is your XP formatted for NTFS or FAT32?

this will be much easier for you to use a program like Partition Magic. I recommend that to you instead.

use it to creat the partitions you want and to format them with your choice of FAT32 or NTFS.. when done, boot up with a Win98 bootdisk 'with cdrom support' and install Win98SE.. when that's done install Windows XP on the other partition..

Partition Magic

Can I use Partition Magic to create a FAT32 partition althiough my HDD is NTFS and also will I need a fresh install or will Partition Magic do the business for me. If it will I will order it immediately - trouble and strife permitting!!

Please reply before she who must be obeyed sees this!;)

Partition Magic will allow you to RESIZE the partitions and format the space you want to fat32, BUT... since your Master boot record is set up to boot to XP you'll have to adjust XP to see win98 once you install it.

How do I do this?

Originally posted by bheagle
Partition Magic will allow you to RESIZE the partitions and format the space you want to fat32, BUT... since your Master boot record is set up to boot to XP you'll have to adjust XP to see win98 once you install it.

Sounds complicated for a mere minion like myself. How does one do this? Please note I am a very average computer user; in other words, very simple please!!:D

in the control panel under the SYSTEM/ADVANCED/STARTUP and RECOVERY you'll need to add the win98...

By the way, what programs are they that don't work right???

Have you tried running them under compatability mode???

just a afterthought here, but all my programs work fine old and new...

Compatability

Originally posted by bheagle
By the way, what programs are they that don't work right???

Have you tried running them under compatability mode???

just a afterthought here, but all my programs work fine old and new...

Being adventure game freaks, we have a lot of games that don't run. More over Day of the Tenticle and Sam and Max refuse to work, these are my fav!

Compatability mode doesn't work for a majority of our games. Even Lara Croft doesn't cavort across my screen any more.

My stress relieving games like Castle Wolfenstein and Unreal Tourney work fine though!! I guess you can't have the best of both worlds!

Thanks again

hmmmmm all my games are working.. my Tomb raider, even my DUKE NUKEM 3d and the original Wolf 3D, matter of fact I run several MS-DOS based games on mine...

weird...

Members online

No members online now.

Latest profile posts

Also Hi EP and people. I found this place again while looking through a oooollllllldddd backup. I have filled over 10TB and was looking at my collection of antiques. Any bids on the 500Mhz Win 95 fix?
Any of the SP crew still out there?
Xie wrote on Electronic Punk's profile.
Impressed you have kept this alive this long EP! So many sites have come and gone. :(

Just did some crude math and I apparently joined almost 18yrs ago, how is that possible???
hello peeps... is been some time since i last came here.
Electronic Punk wrote on Sazar's profile.
Rest in peace my friend, been trying to find you and finally did in the worst way imaginable.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
naeemsafi
Back