Dual Booting for XP and Vista quick question

zapoqx

Striking Master
SO I've ordered my system and it shall be coming soon.
Since I'm installing XP on it as the main, I'm partitioning my drive so that 100GB can be used for Vista. Since I have Vista Business Edition just sitting and waiting to be used, I wanted to know if I need to do anything special to get Windows XP and Vista to Dual Boot or will Vista Automatically setup that dual boot feature when installing to the partitioned drive?
Thanks!

Just make sure you install XP first, and Vista after that.
Vista will automatically detect your XP setup and add it to the boot menu.

Thanks for the info. I was planning to do XP first, so I guess it will work out well. Thanks!!!

I would be very careful doing dual booting between XP and Vista

Vista upgrade invalidates your XP key
If you choose to purchase an upgrade version of Windows Vista to upgrade XP, you will no longer be able to use that version of XP. Either on another system, or as a dual-boot option. The key will be invalidated, preventing activation.

From Vista’s EULA found here (PDF) :

13. UPGRADES. To use upgrade software, you must first be licensed for the software that is eligiblefor the upgrade. Upon upgrade, this agreement takes the place of the agreement for the software you upgraded from. After you upgrade, you may no longer use the software you upgraded from.

For many people this may not be a problem, but it’s a change from earlier versions of Windows.

Source
http://www.tomcoyote.org/tech/vista-upgrade-invalidates-your-xp-key/74/

I was about to post that, which I'm very pissed about. I do not want to pay the 500 or so for the full retail, but I still want me XP, god I hate them sometimes.

but that's only a problem if you purchase an upgrade license. He said he had a copy of Vista Business "laying around". My guess is he received his copy from the "power of together" promotion which is a full version.. not an upgrade version.

I was just relaying the information, as I'm not sure what they topic starter has planned but figured the more information the better

Actually, got it through the MDNAA that one of my teacher's were in charge of getting. Its not upgrade, it is actual full copy.

Members online

No members online now.

Latest profile posts

Also Hi EP and people. I found this place again while looking through a oooollllllldddd backup. I have filled over 10TB and was looking at my collection of antiques. Any bids on the 500Mhz Win 95 fix?
Any of the SP crew still out there?
Xie wrote on Electronic Punk's profile.
Impressed you have kept this alive this long EP! So many sites have come and gone. :(

Just did some crude math and I apparently joined almost 18yrs ago, how is that possible???
hello peeps... is been some time since i last came here.
Electronic Punk wrote on Sazar's profile.
Rest in peace my friend, been trying to find you and finally did in the worst way imaginable.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
naeemsafi
Back