• This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn more.

Dual Boot

Jewelzz

OSNN Godlike Veteran
My system was dual booting (Vista and XP), the Vista was an early beta and when the key expired I uninstalled and deleted the partition. When I reboot my PC the first partition or OS it wants to start is Vista. I was told to go into my boot.ini and delete the Vista portion but I don't have anything in my boot.ini that refers to Vista. How do I make it so when I reboot my system it doesn't automatically think I have 2 OSs?

This is what's in my boot.ini
;
;Warning: Boot.ini is used on Windows XP and earlier operating systems.
;Warning: Use BCDEDIT.exe to modify Windows Vista boot options.
;
[boot loader]
timeout=30
default=multi(0)disk(0)rdisk(0)partition(1)\WINDOWS
[operating systems]
multi(0)disk(0)rdisk(0)partition(1)\WINDOWS="Windows XP Media Center Edition" /NOEXECUTE=OPTIN /FASTDETECT
I've searched for BCDEDIT.exe but can't find it *shrug*

fixmbr wont get you back to the xp way of booting. Pop your vista DVD in the driver and look in the boot folder in a command prompt. There is a program in there that will set you back to the xp way of booting. Witohut a Vista DVD to hand though I couldn't tell you what its called.

kop48

OSNN Addict
fixmbr wont get you back to the xp way of booting. Pop your vista DVD in the driver and look in the boot folder in a command prompt. There is a program in there that will set you back to the xp way of booting. Witohut a Vista DVD to hand though I couldn't tell you what its called.
Worked for me (fixmbr, that is)?

American Zombie

Administrator
Staff member
Political User
The file is Bootsect.exe located in the boot folder of the DVD.

The correct way to remove Vista dual boot info can be found in KB919529. Scroll down to the section Removing Windows Vista from a dual-boot configuration.

Members online

No members online now.

Latest posts

Latest profile posts

Hello, is there anybody in there? Just nod if you can hear me ...
Xie
What a long strange trip it's been. =)

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
sanoravies