Dual Boot

Jewelzz

OSNN Godlike Veteran
My system was dual booting (Vista and XP), the Vista was an early beta and when the key expired I uninstalled and deleted the partition. When I reboot my PC the first partition or OS it wants to start is Vista. I was told to go into my boot.ini and delete the Vista portion but I don't have anything in my boot.ini that refers to Vista. How do I make it so when I reboot my system it doesn't automatically think I have 2 OSs?

This is what's in my boot.ini
;
;Warning: Boot.ini is used on Windows XP and earlier operating systems.
;Warning: Use BCDEDIT.exe to modify Windows Vista boot options.
;
[boot loader]
timeout=30
default=multi(0)disk(0)rdisk(0)partition(1)\WINDOWS
[operating systems]
multi(0)disk(0)rdisk(0)partition(1)\WINDOWS="Windows XP Media Center Edition" /NOEXECUTE=OPTIN /FASTDETECT
I've searched for BCDEDIT.exe but can't find it *shrug*

NetRyder

Tech Junkie
If you boot into the XP Recovery Console and run "fixmbr" and "fixboot" it should restore the XP bootloader.
Here's an old thread about the Recovery Console.

Tweakfiend

OSNN Senior Addict
You should delete the "Boot" folder and "bootmgr" file in XPs Main drive ( usually C ) which key in to Vista boot option.

fixmbr wont get you back to the xp way of booting. Pop your vista DVD in the driver and look in the boot folder in a command prompt. There is a program in there that will set you back to the xp way of booting. Witohut a Vista DVD to hand though I couldn't tell you what its called.

kop48

OSNN Addict
fixmbr wont get you back to the xp way of booting. Pop your vista DVD in the driver and look in the boot folder in a command prompt. There is a program in there that will set you back to the xp way of booting. Witohut a Vista DVD to hand though I couldn't tell you what its called.
Worked for me (fixmbr, that is)?

American Zombie

Administrator
Staff member
Political User
The file is Bootsect.exe located in the boot folder of the DVD.

The correct way to remove Vista dual boot info can be found in KB919529. Scroll down to the section Removing Windows Vista from a dual-boot configuration.

Members online

No members online now.

Latest posts

Latest profile posts

Perris Calderon wrote on Electronic Punk's profile.
Ep, glad to see you come back and tidy up...did want to ask a one day favor, I want to enhance my resume , was hoping you could make me administrator for a day, if so, take me right off since I won't be here to do anything, and don't know the slightest about the board, but it would be nice putting "served administrator osnn", if can do, THANKS

Been running around Quora lately, luv it there https://tinyurl.com/ycpxl
Electronic Punk wrote on Perris Calderon's profile.
All good still mate?
Hello, is there anybody in there? Just nod if you can hear me ...
Xie
What a long strange trip it's been. =)

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Amanda99