Dual boot

Swi

gningnegneur
Hey boys, hey girls, here we go!

I intend to put an old HD with winME on it and i want to have the possibility to choose from which OS i want to boot. I know XP can do this but i don't know is there a way to do it without reinstalling it. If it is not possible, is there any soft that can do it? (lilo, lino or something like that)

Thx!

It's best to partition the drive so that each operating system has it's own partition. Mainly because Windows XP and Windows ME both use the Windows folder and Programs Folder (which would make a mess).

It's very important to intall Windows ME first!
then Windows XP - if you do it the other way - then you need to do a re-intall of XP aftwards (over the top).

Thx for the replies... the fact is that i have 2 hard drives, one with XP and another with ME installed and i want to plug the second HD as a slave. So basically both os are already installed on two different hard drives. The only thing i want is something that let me choose from which os i want to boot

I have a question too, i tried usign partition magic to make a linux partition. i have windows xp pro, NTFS partition... and it said since i had ntfs windows xp wouldnt be after i made a linux partition. WHY? is there another way

Swi, make the disk with ME on it the master, then modify the boot.ini file so it looks something like this:

[boot loader]
timeout=30
default=multi(0)disk(0)rdisk(0)partition(1)\WINDOWS
[operating systems]
multi(0)disk(1)rdisk(0)partition(1)\WINDOWS="Microsoft Windows XP Professional Edition" /fastdetect
C:\ = "Microsoft Windows Millenium Edition"

It's possible that they will work

Finally i took BootMagic which worked very fine, thanks for the help!

damn, that got screwed up somewhere...
ummm
a couple of lines decided to display incorrectly, but you should be able to figure out which ones.

Now i have another little problem/question.
Here's my setup first:
HD #1: 3 partitions(1st with XP, 2nd and 3rd with data) Primary IDE Master
HD #2: 1 partition with Win98 Primary IDE Slave

When i load with XP, i see both hd correctly so it looks like this:
C: = XP
D: = Data1
E: = Data2
F & G = CD-rom
H: = Win98

When i load with Win98, my drive C is the partition with Win98 and i see the 2nd and 3rd partition of the first hd, so it look like this

C: = Win98
D: = Data1
E: = Data2
F & G = CD-Roms

SO i can't see the partition with XP on it... is there a way to see it?!?! Maybe by plugging my second hd on the secondary IDE???
any idea?

If you have XP installed on an NTFS drive you wont be able to see it on 98/ME

Sounds like your XP drive/partition is NTFS... nothing else will see that (except another NT OS).

i pretty sure it's a fat32 cause i never made any conversion... how can i be sure?

Members online

No members online now.

Latest profile posts

Also Hi EP and people. I found this place again while looking through a oooollllllldddd backup. I have filled over 10TB and was looking at my collection of antiques. Any bids on the 500Mhz Win 95 fix?
Any of the SP crew still out there?
Xie wrote on Electronic Punk's profile.
Impressed you have kept this alive this long EP! So many sites have come and gone. :(

Just did some crude math and I apparently joined almost 18yrs ago, how is that possible???
hello peeps... is been some time since i last came here.
Electronic Punk wrote on Sazar's profile.
Rest in peace my friend, been trying to find you and finally did in the worst way imaginable.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
naeemsafi
Back