Dual boot

S

simpat1zq

I'm currently dual booting XP and win98.
I was wondering if there's some program that I can run to shut down the OS that I'm running, and have it restart in the OS I choose.
For example, right now I have XP as the default OS. Now let's say I'm running win98, and I want to restart again into win98, I want to be able to specify that when I shut down, not after it restarts.

Not that i'm aware of. I think I know of a workaround though. While running XP, open your boot.ini in notepad and save it
as boot.XP, now change the default boot OS to 98, open boot.ini again and save it as boot.98. Now copy your boot.ini file to
another location> delete boot.ini from your boot partition and copy it back from where you just saved it to (this is because
it's a system/hidden file and this workaround wouldn't let you tamper with it without first stripping it of these attributes - deleting it is the easiest way).

Now you need a couple of batch files. Open notepad, copy and paste the following into it:

echo off
del boot.ini
copy boot.98 boot.ini
shutdown -r -t 00

Save this one as boot98.bat in the root boot directory (same place the boot.ini file is). Once there, right click on it and
send a shortcut for it to your desktop - then you can rename it and change the icon if you like. A rundown of the commands
"del boot.ini" deletes the existinting boot.ini file. "copy boot.98 boot.ini" makes of copy of the boot.98 file naming it
boot.ini. "shutdown -r -t 00" this will shutdown your computer, the -r switch is a restart command and the -t 00 is a
timeout command, set to zero in this case. You can omit this [shutdown] command line if you want to just manually shutdown
your computer - if it's left in, it WILL shut you down immediately and restart your computer.

Open notepad again and copy and paste in the following:

echo off
del boot.ini
copy boot.xp boot.ini

Save this one as bootxp.bat in the root boot directory. I'm not sure what shutdown command you can use in Windows 98 at the
end of this file, maybe someone else knows what it is and can add to this. You can make shortcut to this batch file on your
98 desktop.

As you can tell, there are definantly variations on this theme - variables not taken into account - so you'll need to tinker around a bit to get what you want. You might want to make 4 batch files - a restart98.bat, a restartxp.bat, a boot98.bat, and a bootxp.bat<< the last two designed to just swap which os will boot next time around instead of restarting when executed. good luck.

Members online

No members online now.

Latest profile posts

Also Hi EP and people. I found this place again while looking through a oooollllllldddd backup. I have filled over 10TB and was looking at my collection of antiques. Any bids on the 500Mhz Win 95 fix?
Any of the SP crew still out there?
Xie wrote on Electronic Punk's profile.
Impressed you have kept this alive this long EP! So many sites have come and gone. :(

Just did some crude math and I apparently joined almost 18yrs ago, how is that possible???
hello peeps... is been some time since i last came here.
Electronic Punk wrote on Sazar's profile.
Rest in peace my friend, been trying to find you and finally did in the worst way imaginable.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
naeemsafi
Back