Dual boot XP/Win98-- best back-up solution

wingman411

OSNN Senior Addict
I have a WD 120 and WD 40 gig drive. I am using the 120 with dual boot. I also have two other partitions on it one for data and one for music.

Right now I use Norton Ghost to clone the 120 with all the partitions onto the 40 and do that about once every two weeks. In case of a bad crash, I can do a clone of the 40 back to the 120 after I slick it.

My question is, what would be a better method of keeping a full backup of my system? I have both Norton Ghost 2003 and Partition Magic 8.

I don't want to start from scratch thou. All ideas welcome.

Thanks

What is wrong with your current method of backing up? Sounds good to me :)

I do a similar thing, I have 2000, XP, and changing linux distros on my main HDD and keep my Ghost backups on another. The only thing I would recommend, is to backup very important stuff to CD as a failsafe, I do this about once a month.

Physical backups are the best solution. Ive got Mandrake and XP dual boot on my WD 40, and my 100GB has all my other ****, music etc.

Well if you want something done right you have to do it the way you like it done! :) Mr. Smiley:Good idea ViperSnake!

What I do is to keep a original ghost image with all my main programs loaded. I update it when I add one that I want to keep, and burn it to a rw dvd and replace the image when needed. All other data is in a directory on another drive which I back up to rw cd's. Have never lost anything important since.

ejm

I have very similar procedures as ejm except that I leave my orginal ghost image inact. Whenever I install and update my software such as norton virus definiations, I create a new image file that way I have the orginal installation in case something goes wrong. I keep all my ghost images in my 80 GB external USB2.0 Hard drive. That drive is filling up rapidly nowadays.

Members online

No members online now.

Latest profile posts

Also Hi EP and people. I found this place again while looking through a oooollllllldddd backup. I have filled over 10TB and was looking at my collection of antiques. Any bids on the 500Mhz Win 95 fix?
Any of the SP crew still out there?
Xie wrote on Electronic Punk's profile.
Impressed you have kept this alive this long EP! So many sites have come and gone. :(

Just did some crude math and I apparently joined almost 18yrs ago, how is that possible???
hello peeps... is been some time since i last came here.
Electronic Punk wrote on Sazar's profile.
Rest in peace my friend, been trying to find you and finally did in the worst way imaginable.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
naeemsafi
Back