Dual Boot with XP(NTFS) and 98(FAT32)?

M

mogyee

Hi All!

I have 2 HDDs. I have the following config :

1. Primary Master: XP Pro on NTFS partition

2. Secondary Slave: 98 SE on FAT32

So when I boot from the 1st HDD I see the XP bootmenu, and when I select to boot from the 2nd HDD it fails to do so.

I added the Windows 98 item to the bootmenu by editing boot.ini

it looks like this:

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
[boot loader]
timeout=30
default=multi(0)disk(0)rdisk(0)partition(1)\WINDOWS
[operating systems]
multi(0)disk(0)rdisk(0)partition(1)\WINDOWS="XP" /fastdetect
multi(0)disk(0)rdisk(1)partition(1)\WINDOWS="98 SE"
------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

:( What should i do to make this work???

:huh: Im really don't know what to do???

:eek: Is it possible to make this work anyway???

Thanks in advance...

..: mOgy3E :..

I think there's a small error there ;)

Change it to look like this:

[boot loader]
timeout=30
[operating systems]
multi(0)disk(0)rdisk(0)partition(1)\WINDOWS="XP" /fastdetect
multi(0)disk(1)rdisk(0)partition(1)\WINDOWS="98 SE"

Note that I changed the 98SE entry to disk(1) instead of disk(0) and rdisk(0) instead of rdisk(1)

rdisk applies only to SCSI drives

Let me know if that helps. :)

I doesn't works

Your advice is seemed simple but perfect...

But it doesnt worked :(

I'm don't understand the whole system now... :huh:

I dunno what to do more about this...

If you have another suggestions, I am opened for everything...

Thank you for your fast reply :happy:

Thanks again...

..: mOgy3E :..

What system did you load first? If it was xp then there is a bit of configuring to do to get 98 on board.

Like I said you have a bit of configuring to do.

http://www.dougknox.com/xp/tips/xp_repair_9x.htm

How do I install Windows® 98/Me after I've installed XP?
(without 3rd party software)

Necessary Criteria

This procedure assumes that Windows XP is installed on drive C: No support is offered for other drive letters.
Drive C: must be FAT16 or FAT32 to be able to install Windows 98/Me after XP is already installed. The 98/Me installation routine cannot write to an NTFS partition.
You must have a second hard disk or partition formatted for FAT16/32 in order to be able to install Windows 98/Me. Installing 98/Me to the same partition as Windows XP is NOT RECOMMENDED!
I recommend the use of a Windows 98/Me Startup disk for this procedure. If you don't have one, you can download the necessary files from http://www.bootdisk.com You should ensure that DEBUG.EXE is on your Startup disk. If it isn't, it can be copied from the Windows\Command folder. On a 98/Me Startup disk, created from Add/Remove Programs, its in the EBD.CAB file on the Startup disk. For a 98 Startup disk created from FAT32EBD.EXE its on the floppy

Installing Windows® 98

1) Use a Win98/Me Startup disk (with CD support) to boot your computer.
2) Insert your Win98/Me CD into the CD Rom drive.
3) At the A: prompt type X:\Win98\Setup.exe (for Win98) or X:\Win9x\Setup.exe (for Win Me) where X: is your CD-ROM drive.
4) Proceed with the install. When prompted for the install location, you'll see C:\Windows.000. Choose Other directory and change this to the drive you wish to install 98/Me to and name the folder Windows (or something else if you prefer).
5) Complete the Win98/Me install. Allow the computer to boot into Win98/Me.

Repairing the Windows® XP Boot Loader

1) Create a Win98/Me Startup Disk
2) Create a Notepad file with the following entries, exactly as shown:

L 100 2 0 1
N C:\BOOTSECT.DOS
R BX
R CX
W
Q

3) Save the file to the Win98/Me Startup Disk as READ.SCR
4) Boot the computer with the Win98/Me Startup Disk and at the A: prompt type

DEBUG <READ.SCR

Steps 1 - 4 create the BOOTSECT.DOS file needed to boot Win98/Me. For your convenience, you can download READ.SCR here. I suggest you use right click and Save As. You may need to use the ATTRIB C:\BOOTSECT.DOS -S -H -R command if BOOTSECT.DOS already exists and you get an error when trying to recreate it.

5) Configure your computer to boot from the CD drive. This is done in the BIOS, or your computer may offer the option at startup if it detects a bootable CD. Consult your computer's manual for more information. If your computer does not support booting from CD-Rom, you should also be able to boot with a 98/Me Startup disk, and run WINNT.EXE from the I386 folder of your XP CD.
6) Insert your XP CD and boot from it.
7) You'll see some files being copied, then you'll be presented with a choice of installing or
repairing an existing installation. Choose Repair.
8) You'll be asked which XP installation you want to log into. Enter 1. There is usually only
one installation.
9) You'll be prompted for the Administrator password. For Home, the default password is blank, so just hit Enter. For Pro, enter the same password you did during setup for the Administrator account (this is not the same as the password for an Admin level account. It must be the Administrator account password).
10) At the C:\Windows prompt, type FIXBOOT. You'll be prompted to confirm. Do so.
11) When FIXBOOT is finished, remove the XP CD and type EXIT and the machine will reboot.
Reconfigure your computer to boot from the hard drive if necessary.

You will now get the XP Boot loader with your choice of operating systems.

I have tried it already

It had made bootsect.dos file on the Drive D: (second drive - win98 - fat32) and when i ran fixboot it does nothing... It have not added any new item to the boot menu :(

May i do something wrong????

you might want to invest in Partition Magic 8.0. It has BootMagic, which configures your system for multiple operating systems.

PM me and I can give you information on the best place to get this product.

I may be wrong but I think the line in boot.ini for a DOS based Operating system usually looks like C:\="Windows". The multi(0)disk(0)...... part is only used for NT based systems.
Don't blame me if something goes wrong, no expert in these things. Personally I would try this for the last line in boot.ini:
D:\="Windows 98 SE" (the part after = is just a name choose what you like)

I trie this one two....

It makes my PC reboot...

But thanks for the post...

I gonna get some sleep my be better luck tommorroww (ehe today)

It's 5 in the morning i have to get some rest :)

Thanks for the help guys...

If anyone has some idea, let me know...

bye, bye

For the time being, you could change your bios settings to boot from master or slave. Of course, this is only temporary. Don't do this if you're going to follow my advice after this paragraph. you already knew that.

Adding to yoyo's comment, I might be mistaken but try taking off the SE from D:\=Windows 98 SE". Also, as you will see below in my example, the line for win98 has microsoft in it. maybe that has to be there, maybe not. maybe this whole paragraph changes nothing. (if the below boot.ini fails, try removing the microsoft from the last line)

Also, I am fairly sure that Windows 98 likes to be on the C drive.

Now, for my "expert" opinion. notice i changed the timeout to 15. this is a good boot speed tweak for dual boot systems if you were to just push the power button and walk out of the room. change it to anything you want. (30 for default) Furthermore, D:\ (from yoyo's post) is changed to C:\

edit your boot.ini to say:

[boot loader]
timeout=15
[operating systems]
multi(0)disk(0)rdisk(0)partition(1)\WINDOWS="Microsoft Windows XP Professional" /fastdetect
C:\="Microsoft Windows 98"

if the 98 was first xp would have setup the dual boot as it needed to be for both you need the bootsec.dos for a 9x system

any multi boot setups you should always load the oldest os first...just a rule of thumb for the future.......

Ya know the best way to cure probs like this ??? Get a little unit called Trios - Get info here => http://www.romtecusa.com/ - What this unit does is allow you to have multiple HD's with diff os's on each of them ... When you want to use a certian OS you just shut the pc down push a button on it and restart it .. It could'nt be much simplar ;)
3 Computers in 1
Run up-to three independent Operating Systems in a single computer. Each O/S is on a separate Hard Drive and isolates each other. There is no need to deal with software. Setup the computer in any desirable fashion for backups, usable multi-lingual O/S, sharing with family and co-workers, etc.

Multiple configurations
Trios II controls not only one drive at a time but also controls 2 drives simultaneously. Master + Slave setup enables you to run 2 drives, one drive as Master the other as its slave. You can create your own configuration among the Hard Drives (O/S or Data drives), CD ROM & Writer, 3D Imation Drives, DVD player & writer, ZIP Drives, etc. See Detailed Configurations

Universal Flexibility (Capability)
Trios II is capable for not only hard drives, but also CD ROM & Writer, DVD player & writer, ZIP Drives, 3D Imation Drives, etc. which means you can choose amongst any of the 3 drives.

Universal Compatibility
Trios II is compatible with any IDE devices. There is no limit to capacity size, speed or manufacturer as long as the BIOS supports the drives in terms of capacity and interface. Also, it will add tons of flexibility to any system, new or few years old. (e.g. ATA/33, ATA/66, ATA/100 or ATA 133) .

Internet Firewall - Physical Separation
Protect your computer from internet intrusions and security breaches by isolating your private data.

Automated Power Distribution
Trios II controls power distribution to drives. Only the selected drive(s) is supplied power through the Trios II.

Easy to Install & Use
Real plug & play - No software required

One-touch control panel
Fail-safe switch-protection for active O/S, and one-touch control panel enables you to select drive(s) easily with no hassle.

The Total Package
Trios II retail package comes with all necessary accessories and components you will ever need

mogyee - have you tried any of our latest advice? I want to know how it worked out? thx.

Powerchordpunk: it one reboots my computer... ( C:\ )

(D:\ gives some error)

and if i switch in the bios it works but i have know this already i want this menu to work because of this....

lechtard: i haven't got any for that...

spikemic: want it work it this way to XP have to be the C: Drive

Hipster Doofus: i have find this manual too, but it only applies when XP has installed on FAT32...

yoyo: D:\Windows gives an error message " Missing file SYSTEM32\HAL.DLL blabla.

i tried c:\Windows and it boot the XP :)))

NetRyder: i trie Recovery Console and MAP ARC command and it gives me that D: is equals to multi(0)disk(0)rdisk(1)partiti
on(1)

I have tried a BOOTCFG command to but i have found some article over the net that says it only recognizes NT / 2K /XP system and ignores 98.

FIXBOOT and BOOTSECT.DOS maybe the key but i dont know how to use it...
what i have to add to the config.sys and where i have to put the BOOTSECT.DOS file anyway???

i dont give up trying it has to be a way to make this work.

maybe i reinstall the XP but i dont have to for that now maybe next week...

thanks for the help, and i am still waiting for suggestions

ps.: Sorry for my english, maybe its bad to read :) I am hungarian and i am very very tired :)

...: mOgy3E :...

Members online

No members online now.

Latest profile posts

Also Hi EP and people. I found this place again while looking through a oooollllllldddd backup. I have filled over 10TB and was looking at my collection of antiques. Any bids on the 500Mhz Win 95 fix?
Any of the SP crew still out there?
Xie wrote on Electronic Punk's profile.
Impressed you have kept this alive this long EP! So many sites have come and gone. :(

Just did some crude math and I apparently joined almost 18yrs ago, how is that possible???
hello peeps... is been some time since i last came here.
Electronic Punk wrote on Sazar's profile.
Rest in peace my friend, been trying to find you and finally did in the worst way imaginable.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
naeemsafi
Back