Dual Boot screen

T

tjwolf93

I have XP Pro installed on C: I recently tried to install a fresh copy of XP on a backup hard drive (D). The XP setup installed some sort of XP setup files on C: and when a re-boot I get the dual boot screen. The default is windows, which if I let it boot that option a I get a blue scrren of death. If I toggle it to the XP Pro option it boots just fine. I've been trying to get rid of the default and the dual boot screen with no avail. I went to the boot.ini file and it matches other computers with XP I have. Here is the
boot.ini

[boot loader]
timeout=30
default=multi(0)disk(0)rdisk(1)partition(1)\WINDOWS
[operating systems]
multi(0)disk(0)rdisk(0)partition(1)\WINDOWS="Microsoft Windows XP Professional" /fastdetect

The default takes it to the blue screen of death. How do I fix this problem and get rid of the dual boot option. I tried unchecking the two boxes under the Startup and recovery option. The 30 sec time boxes. Any help would be appreciated.

Thanks

Todd
:confused:

ok when you bootup properly go to control panel and select system and then go to the advanced tab

once you open the advanced tab click on startup and recovery

there you will see a new window open up

now you will have the option of selecting the default operating system

select the one you want... (please make sure it is the correct one) and then turn off the 'time to display options' setting

this will mean your system will automatically boot to the operating system option you selected and you will no longer see a dual boot option on startup...

hope this helps..

if you have questions pm me or post a message...

:D

g.luck

AND PLEASE SELECT THE CORRECT o/s to start with mate...

is this problem on C or D?if its on D how did u format it,was it empty and did just boot from the cd and install straight away?

are you sure your boot.ini says that,because i had a similiar problem and in mine it had another line that said just Microsoft Windows-not xp or 98 or something,and i just deleted it.

in startup and recovery options,set defaut os to ms windows xp pro /fastdetect if you havent already and set time to display list of operating systems to 0.leave it checked

Members online

No members online now.

Latest profile posts

Also Hi EP and people. I found this place again while looking through a oooollllllldddd backup. I have filled over 10TB and was looking at my collection of antiques. Any bids on the 500Mhz Win 95 fix?
Any of the SP crew still out there?
Xie wrote on Electronic Punk's profile.
Impressed you have kept this alive this long EP! So many sites have come and gone. :(

Just did some crude math and I apparently joined almost 18yrs ago, how is that possible???
hello peeps... is been some time since i last came here.
Electronic Punk wrote on Sazar's profile.
Rest in peace my friend, been trying to find you and finally did in the worst way imaginable.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
naeemsafi
Back