dual boot question.

• Thread starter mafiafromrussia
  • Start date
M

mafiafromrussia

i've got windows ME on C: drive and windows XP PRO on E: .

they are on 1 HD just different partitions. i'm thinking of formating C: but because that windows dual boot thing is there (boot.ini, ntldr.exe) and all that crap. so i'm wondering how do i get it back after i reinstall windows ME?
do i just put in xp cd go to recovery and use something like rebuild boot command ??

come on, some one has to know this stuff for sure.

after you install ME, XP will become the master OS, so in XP just go and edit the boot.ini loader to include the ME OS. You will be using the NT loader...

after you install ME, XP will become the master OS, so in XP just go and edit the boot.ini loader to include the ME OS. You will be using the NT loader... Is that the answer you were looking for ?

First of all, copy these files to a safe place: ntldr, ntdetect.com, boot.ini and bootsect.dos. Then format your C: drive and reinstall WinME. Use WinME to copy those files back to the C: root. Then boot from WinXP CDROM, use F10 to go to the Recovery Console, log in as Administrator and perform a fixboot. That should but the WinXP bootsector back in place and allow you to dualboot again.

Recovery Console: http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?scid=kb;en-us;Q314058

By the way Jz1397-4 : after reinstalling WinME you cannot boot WinXP. So how can you use WinXP to edit the boot.ini?

ok thanks for explanation Binary. it's just my XP in on NTFS, so i'll just copy the files to floppy.

Members online

No members online now.

Latest profile posts

Also Hi EP and people. I found this place again while looking through a oooollllllldddd backup. I have filled over 10TB and was looking at my collection of antiques. Any bids on the 500Mhz Win 95 fix?
Any of the SP crew still out there?
Xie wrote on Electronic Punk's profile.
Impressed you have kept this alive this long EP! So many sites have come and gone. :(

Just did some crude math and I apparently joined almost 18yrs ago, how is that possible???
hello peeps... is been some time since i last came here.
Electronic Punk wrote on Sazar's profile.
Rest in peace my friend, been trying to find you and finally did in the worst way imaginable.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
naeemsafi
Back