dual boot problem

seperatist

OSNN Senior Addict
my dad made a mistake and installed a dual boot and he did not mean to. is there a way to remove it without a format? they are both xp and we want to save the original one.

thanks

One Solution

One method of solving your problem is to use a Partioning software.

I would recommend PowerQuest's PartitionMagic 8, because it can be used from inside of windows xp and most operations can be performed without rebooting or leaving windows.

Asidik:D

pick one version of windows xp that you are gonna keep. The other one you can throw it away... and afterwards remove the bootline for that version of xp from your boot.ini file, but i am not sure this will work so can someone back me up...

Originally posted by sboulema
pick one version of windows xp that you are gonna keep. The other one you can throw it away... and afterwards remove the bootline for that version of xp from your boot.ini file, but i am not sure this will work so can someone back me up...

I think your right, he should be able to boot up into the install that he wants to keep and delete the other one, and then remove it from the boot.ini

you wanting to get rid of the other instalation of XP ? or just make sure it doesn;t show up ?

Get rid off:
Partition magic process as mentioned in post 2... just break the wall basically

Not show up:
Edit the boot.ini file.. just set it to boot of yer main os.. not show the other one at all

boot.ini - gui edit = control panel -> system -> advanced tab -> Click Settings under the Start/recovery section... just set it up there m8

Hope that helps m8...

MdSalih

Actually if you wish to remove it then I will use PMagic 8 like said in post 2 and then remove the extra line from the boot.ini.

pm me if you wish more detailed info

Members online

No members online now.

Latest profile posts

Also Hi EP and people. I found this place again while looking through a oooollllllldddd backup. I have filled over 10TB and was looking at my collection of antiques. Any bids on the 500Mhz Win 95 fix?
Any of the SP crew still out there?
Xie wrote on Electronic Punk's profile.
Impressed you have kept this alive this long EP! So many sites have come and gone. :(

Just did some crude math and I apparently joined almost 18yrs ago, how is that possible???
hello peeps... is been some time since i last came here.
Electronic Punk wrote on Sazar's profile.
Rest in peace my friend, been trying to find you and finally did in the worst way imaginable.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
naeemsafi
Back