Dual boot not working after installing WinXP SP1

B

Blue

Maybe somebody can help me out here ....

I normally run WinXP Pro on my Cdrive (the primary partition of my main drive - FAT32) and dual boot to WinME on my Ddrive (the primary partition on my second drive - FAT16).

There were no problems until i installed sp1 (I reformatted and did a clean install of WinXP +SP1 using a slipstreamed cd) ... now WinXP works well .... but it didn't automatically give me a dual boot option.

I adjusted the boot.ini and got the dual boot option screen- but selecting WinME does nothing - well actually it looks in my cdrom (my J drive) and finding nothing ... it reverts back to the option screen.

I went into the recovery console and ran fixboot and fixmbr with no success.

MS knowledge base addressed the issue about when XP won't load, but not the other way round.

Checked out Doug Knox's site and followed his ideas for restabling the boot sector for winxp - but that must have been pre sp1 .. no luck with that.

I even played with the "multi(0)disk(0)rdisk(0)partition(1)" values
without success ... and yes i did try reinstalling WinXP (and reinstalled a backup winme image to the d drive .... still no luck.

Next was to load bootmagic and use it instead ... but guess what ... same result ...

So ..... has anybody else had this problem? heard of it? or more
importantly ... found a solution????

Cheers :blink: :blink: :blink:

From what you're saying it is looking for Win Me to Boot Up. But it looks in yer CDROM Drive. Maybe the target for looking up Win Me is fudged up? ReEdit and see.

Gonaads ... how do i ReEdit?

Hipster ... my boot.ini which worked before is ...

[boot loader]
timeout=10
default=multi(0)disk(0)rdisk(0)partition(1)\WINDOWS
[operating systems]
multi(0)disk(0)rdisk(0)partition(1)\WINDOWS="Microsoft Windows XP Professional" /fastdetect
C:\="Microsoft Windows Millennium"

Thanks everybody your help .... finally it's working ... i had to reinstall WinME after WinXP (I swear to god when i set it up originally it wouldn't work this way ... WinXP had to be installed second)

After installing WinME the dual boot would work but the default was to WinMe not WinXP

I tried deleting the bootsect.dos and recreating it using the read.scn file ... but that just recreated my original problem

So i ended up going back to the bootsect.dos file that WinME installed and just editing the boot.ini file to change the default ... it works great now ... but that sure wasn't how i set things up before ... i have to assume the difference is from installing WinXPSP1 from a slipstreamed disc vs installing from the original disc then applying the patch ... I just can't wait to have to reinstall it again, lol

Thanks again for the help and suggestions.

Members online

No members online now.

Latest profile posts

Also Hi EP and people. I found this place again while looking through a oooollllllldddd backup. I have filled over 10TB and was looking at my collection of antiques. Any bids on the 500Mhz Win 95 fix?
Any of the SP crew still out there?
Xie wrote on Electronic Punk's profile.
Impressed you have kept this alive this long EP! So many sites have come and gone. :(

Just did some crude math and I apparently joined almost 18yrs ago, how is that possible???
hello peeps... is been some time since i last came here.
Electronic Punk wrote on Sazar's profile.
Rest in peace my friend, been trying to find you and finally did in the worst way imaginable.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
naeemsafi
Back